Please help - Don’t know where to start

Pintail55

I searched though many, many, many of the pages and I appoligize if this has been asked a lot but I didn't find it. I have been shooting a long time. there have been some years where I have shot over 10k rounds of 9mm and several thousand 556 rounds and I have never reloaded. I have since got into long range shooting and large caliber rifles and it's definitely a lot more money to feed those types of rifles. Also with this virus and the rush on ammo and the amount I shoot has shown me I need to get serious about reloading. Honesty I don't really want to get into mass producing handgun ammo but more want to load big bore and rifle ammo I have no idea where to start. I've heard Hornady I've heard Rock Chucker but I'd love to hear from others on advice on if I should and what I should read, watch and get into. I'm a big time researcher and my head feels like it's spinning reading everything. Id like some advice on what is the best place to start. I don't want to go at this half hardly and would love to hear other people's opinion on what to do, where to start and what equpi is recommended. Thank You.

I should add I'm not wanting to reload to save money. I'm wanting to reload because all these ammo scares have me worried about being able to purchase Ammo. I like to have a decent amount on hand because I shoot a lot. Also now that I've gotten into long range hunting and shooting I'd like to load develop. So money really isn't playing a role in this. As much as I shoot I realize if I reload it Will cost me just as much I will just probably shoot more.

I should add I'm not wanting to reload to save money. I'm wanting to reload because all these ammo scares have me worried about being able to purchase Ammo. I like to have a decent amount on hand because I shoot a lot. Also now that I've gotten into long range hunting and shooting I'd like to load develop. So money really isn't playing a role in this. As much as I shoot I realize if I reload it Will cost me just as much I will just probably shoot more.
I found myself shooting more for the same cost. Worth it though.
Natchezss.com usually has good prices on the RCBS Supreme reloading kit. It's a fantastic kit to get you going, and comes with all the basic essentials. I paid $280 for mine.
You'll need to get a few things in addition, such as your dies, shell holders, stuck case remover, bullet puller, and a caliper. Everything else is there though.
I too over analyze things. So from one nerd to another, this is a safe route to go. I have zero regrets.

I'm sure there are some good videos out there. Do you happen to have a friend or know someone who already reloads and you could get some hands on experience. Reloading is not going to be cheap. You do it to hopefully get better quality ammo. As already mentioned a RCBS rock chucker kit would get you started. There are so many different choices and some you will like and some you won't and most aren't cheap. Good luck

As recommended start out with a kit that provides you the basic necessities to start reloading immediately minus the dies. From than on as you gain experience you will add additional accessories to fit your style of loading and shooting. But if history has shown me if you are now just beginning you need to decide what caliber you want to reload and began buying brass, bullets, primers and powder now before you buy your reloading equipment as this may no longer be available for you to buy at your local gun store or on line. Decide what you want and buy it than buy your reloading equipment. It may be futile now as I'm reading all over the web about the panic buying of guns, ammo and toilet paper, you may seriously be out of luck.

For what you described a single stage press is the way to go, RCBS, Hornady, Redding are all good. Personally I think the Redding T7 is the best. If you are like most you will buy one then after a while buy a better one, save money and buy the T7 now.

This is all great. Thank you. I can't see myself reloading 9mm even though I shoot that the most of that caliber unless we can't buy it anymore cause all the crazies hoarded it all or someone like Biden gets elected. It's just to cheap and easy to buy. But I want to reload for my 7mm rem mag, 556 and 6.5 Grendal. I'm also looking at building a new 6.5 and 300 PRC rifles and also reloading for them. I want to build Percision Ammo. And have the option to load everything If I need to.

To be honest, the "cost savings" argument is rarely true for the first few years.
Depending on what cartridge you are shooting, and your reloading for accuracy prowess, sometimes it is cheaper and better to shoot factory.

Reloading is for accuracy, consistency, and to use the highest quality components that you prefer that caters to your specific rifle's likes.

For the costs of getting into reloading, unless you are shooting something like .50BMG, .338LM, .30-.378 Weatherby, etc., you can shoot a lot of factory ammo.

RCBS or Hornady both make good single stage presses. Look for deals. You can get a lot of equipment used for half the price of new.

It might be better off to start with a rockchucker kit but with the number of rounds your going through a Dillonis in your future!
A good preper would have done this six months ago......... right now the supplies you can find are going to be spendy.
With that said if you can find Retumborr,22,r23(for the 7mag), xbr, ar comp or cfe223(for theGrendel)The 5.56 you can use a lot of different powders and under normal conditions the 9 is still a lot cheaper to reload for.

With a pistol & a .223/5.56 it sound like a prime case to get a Dillon or similar progressive press where they can produce a reasonable quantity of rounds quickly.

Now people may argue but imo the standard single stage press process will produce better & more accurate ammo but just much much slower.
You need to weigh up which you prefer.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.