Please help before my brain explodes!!!!

Bingo! If you're going to shoot at 400 yards and farther, you should plan on purchasing a good laser range finder, no matter which scope you settle on. If you don't have the range down pat, it won't matter which version or model scope you purchase. Buy a Leica 1200 range finder if you're content with limiting your shots to ~ 800 yds. Buy a Leica 1600 if you want to range and take shots out to ~ 1250 yds.

some hefty prices on those rangefinders.. (at least to me) what would be the disadvantages of buying a cheaper rangefinder? such as the bushnell 1,000 or 1,200 in the $250-$350 range

some hefty prices on those rangefinders.. (at least to me) what would be the disadvantages of buying a cheaper rangefinder? such as the bushnell 1,000 or 1,200 in the $250-$350 range

Less reliability of the cheaper rangefinder to give you an accurate range of the distance to the deer. Those Leica models will typically range to the distances I stated. The distance you'll be able to range will likely be reduced with lower cost range finders. If you're content to start out ranging 6-800 yards, a Bushnell 1500 may do the job most of the time, under most conditions, to those yardages. I and many others consider the Leica's to be more reliable to greater distances though. You'll have to weigh the pros and cons against your budget and make a decision. I have no experience with Bushnell's lower yardage models, but I have used their 1500 Elite. It wasn't as good as a Leica 1200.

If the budget is restricting you, I'd go with a Bushnell, rather than wait a year in order to get a Leica. You can always sell the Bushnell later and recoup some of the purchase price to upgrade when you're wanting to range greater distances with greater reliability. You could watch for some 'used' LRFs. There's some risk with purchasing a used one unless you know the seller. But I've purchases used before, as has my brother, and our 'used' ones lived up to their performance expectations.

My observation has been accuracy, consistancy, and ability to function - return an accurate reading - in less than perfect conditions.

On a clear day with a target providing a good reflection and within the advertised range of the particular rangefinder, most rangefinders will provide a useable range solution. When visibility conditions are less than perfect, the cheaper units give up first. particularly at longer distances.

I've bought several rangefinders over the years. Today I have a Leica 1600CRF. That unit is as much as I could afford and it works. I trust it. The earlier units I bought were a waste of time and money.

The same could be said for the Scope. Do your homework. Decide what features work for you and than get the best you can comfortably afford.

How was it put to me once... Buy good stuff once and cry once or buy cheaper stuff and cry more often.

Newcon Optik LRM 1200 Laser Monocular Rangefinder 627973512004 | eBay
I've got one of these, they normaly run about $250ish, as with anythings else you get what you pay for but, for an entry level Rf I like it. I've gotten ranges on buildings out 1500yrds, vehicles past 1k (I just haven't tried farther) animals 800 pretty easy.

We are all FFP. We don't dial windage so accurate wind holds at varying powers can only be done with FFP. Nothing like setting up on a target or animal, loosing it under recoil so you power down, find it and forget to go to max power. This next shot will be in the wind. Spend the extra couple of bucks had don't have it ruin the hunt of a lifetime or that one target your buddy says you cant hit twice.

I only run the 10c's anymore, although the 15's are looking pretty good and maybe around the corner for me.

Bingo! If you're going to shoot at 400 yards and farther, you should plan on purchasing a good laser range finder, no matter which scope you settle on. If you don't have the range down pat, it won't matter which version or model scope you purchase. Buy a Leica 1200 range finder if you're content with limiting your shots to ~ 800 yds. Buy a Leica 1600 if you want to range and take shots out to ~ 1250 yds.
+1 Some of the best advice you will receive, the only thing I would add is practice, practice , then practice some more.:D

We are all FFP. We don't dial windage so accurate wind holds at varying powers can only be done with FFP. Nothing like setting up on a target or animal, loosing it under recoil so you power down, find it and forget to go to max power. This next shot will be in the wind. Spend the extra couple of bucks had don't have it ruin the hunt of a lifetime or that one target your buddy says you cant hit twice.

I only run the 10c's anymore, although the 15's are looking pretty good and maybe around the corner for me.
On the fly windage holds can be done with any scope, any reticule, any power with either FFP or SFP if you simply know the size of the target's body from shoulder to hip or nose to tail; or approximate width side to side if the target is facing directly at or away from you.

I've used the Bushnell rangefinders and other lower end ones and this is what happens in my experience. You range, you shoot, you adjust your velocity or BC to match your targets, you then go and range an animal and shoot low or high and wonder what the heck happened!! Well the beam on the lesser range finders will catch anything and it's easy to base your whole ballistic drop data on a bogus range so when you get a real range your SOL. Getting a SOLID range needs to be way higher on the priority list than it is for a lot of guys, you'll find you have a more harmonious out come with a reliable range!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.