Question about my Leupold mark 5, please help

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by odoylerules, Jul 3, 2018.

1. odoylerules

odoylerules Well-Known Member

1F5FC3B1-DE20-4F81-8AB4-4D42283198F9.jpeg E859F461-AFBB-43DA-B91F-B319F5ED9DEF.jpeg 267C7B4D-838D-40ED-91F1-A0C6CF16C09C.jpeg 6210383A-8A28-47A1-BF46-8B856BEE815D.jpeg So I bought a used mark 5, 5-25x56 from a guy on another forum. It’s in great shape.
    My question is about the zero lock. The directions just talk about how to reset the turret after you’ve dialed your round in, that seems easy and straight forward. What is the huge screw under the turret for? It clicks like you’re adjusting the elevation turret. Leupold says the scope has 3 revolutions of adjustment. No matter what I do I can’t get more than just shy of 2 revolutions. No matter what adjustments I dial to that big screw, I can’t get more than under 2 revolutions. This is my first Leupold. I’m sure it’s something simple. I feel like a moron already for not figuring it out. The directions don’t talk about it and I’ve exhausted YouTube trying to find answers to no avail.
    Thanks guys

2. the hunter

the hunter Well-Known Member

It mite have shiped one rev up, or the guy you got it from mite have had it zeroed one rev up? I would give leupold a call.

3. odoylerules

That’s what I think too. I just can’t seem to reset it

4. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Do you have a zero MOA rail or 20, 30, 40 MOA canted rail?

That great big screw looking thing is what the turret locks into in order to move change the elevation. If it will not turn anymore in one direction you are out of elevation at the bottom.

lancetkenyon likes this.
  5. Schnyd112

Schnyd112 Well-Known Member

I don’t know much about that scope, but are you left handed? Your bubble is on the wrong side of not. You would have to pick your head up to see that thing, negating the use of the bubble to confirm your level.

Put it on the left side, between the rear ring and the knobs. Then all you have to do is look at it with your left eye while you look through the scope with your right.

6. odoylerules

Yes I’m left handed shooter

7. odoylerules

Problem solved!!
    Call Leupold described what was going in in detail and made a video. I apparently have a bad turret. It freezes at 1 3/4 revolutions. Supposed to go all 3. Loosening the set screws should allow it to spin 3 times in the track because it’s not engaged or “clicking”. Mine freezes around 1 3/4 Rev’s.
    New turret on the way.

lancetkenyon likes this.
  8. odoylerules

Got the new turret from Leupold. It was definitely the culprit. The new one works perfectly.

Hatrick likes this.
  9. Hatrick

Hatrick Well-Known Member

Glad it worked out. Thanks for the update.