Playing with the Ec tuner

I picked up the EC tuner brake also. I really like it. I put it on my Tikka 7mag Roughtech. I've told my friends it's the only brake I'll buy now. It's a well engineered brake to begin with, and offers the option of effective tuning for the same price as a good brake with no tuner. When funds allow, I plan on getting a few more, I have a 6 creed that I'm working on as the time/cash permits, and I'd also like to try one on my 338 Norma. I already have a Terminator brake that works awesome on it, but I'd like to experiment with different bullet weights/types, and see how the tuner works for those.
I sure would like to see that, too.

One of my sons has a Browning A bolt 1 SS Stalker w/ BOSS on it. We can tune good factory ammo to sub 1/2 MOA very easily w/ it. I don't know why Browning and Winchester don't offer this option anymore. Works great for tuning a load. Especially for non reloaders.
I know, I wonder the same thing, why Browning & Win discontinued the BOSS tuner brakes. & had 2- Browning A-Bolt ll's with the BOSS & my brother has a Win with it. We both absolutely love the BOSS tuner brakes. They not only did really well with felt recoil reduction
( for radials ) & being able to fine tune factory ammo to tack driver precision in multiple bullet weights is priceless. Why why why stop selling them or including them on their rifles.

I know, I wonder the same thing, why Browning & Win discontinued the BOSS tuner brakes. & had 2- Browning A-Bolt ll's with the BOSS & my brother has a Win with it. We both absolutely love the BOSS tuner brakes. They not only did really well with felt recoil reduction
( for radials ) & being able to fine tune factory ammo to tack driver precision in multiple bullet weights is priceless. Why why why stop selling them or including them on their rifles.
Had one put on a 7-mag. The tuner brake. Works great! Recoil with 175 & 165 bullets, 243 or so. What I like is, you don't have to load a dozen different combinations. Just load 1, tune it, all done!

Ezel tuners have worked for me, also! I have two of them and they simply make you shake your head in why you had not discovered tuners earlier in your life! Dumb Simple to use!
Maybe because they are relatively new and alot of us were waiting for folks like Joe to publish great results! I think now....I'll try one! 😊...(too)

To me, it's harmonics being tuned. I'm sure weight plays a part but length is what's being tuned. Heavier contour barrels have less distortion therefore easier to tune. At least that's what I see and seem to experience. My opinion.

I use the Gentry muzzle breaks which are a radial brake with the holes slanted forward, and they greatly reduce the concussion on your head when shooting without ear plugs.

Those side discharge muzzle breaks are very effective, but they are ungodly loud, especially the ones that have the ports slanted toward the rear, directing gasses and noise to you.

RAS, the EC Tuner/Brake, and the Mike Ezel tuner are very effective in tuning and reducing recoil. A lot depends if you lay on the ground and shoot needing the side discharge ports.

Last edited:
To me, it's harmonics being tuned. I'm sure weight plays a part but length is what's being tuned. Heavier contour barrels have less distortion therefore easier to tune. At least that's what I see and seem to experience. My opinion.
Length? It's not making the barrel any longer just shifting the weight forward of the end of the brake so yes, technically making it longer. It's definitely in relation to weight. Would it work with a lower weight titanium version?? Eric cortina would probably know the answer.

Yes, the longer and smaller the barrel contour, the greater the barrel whip. Check out the short pencil barrel in this video.

If the barrel is longer, the barrel whip will become more evident. In other words, a 22" heavy contour will have less barrel whip (harmonics) and be easier to tune than 30" of the same contour, IMHO.

Check out this 50 BMG with a large contour; the barrel still flexes.