Has anyone tried or heard of anyone playing with this cartridge?

For an easy comparison, think .26 Nosler vs. .308 Winchester. .26 Nosler lasts about 500-600 rounds of accurate barrel life. .308 Win will last 8,000+. This is because the .308 Win has a larger diameter bore and a smaller case capacity, so the flame is less concentrated and burns out quicker.

Another way to look at it is with cartridges of the same parent
The 30/28 nosler has about twice the life span as the 26 nosler.
Or 6.5-300, 7mm-300 and 300 weatherby
As overbore decreases barrel life increases.

And to the original poster
Yes, someone went through the hassle of the 6.5-378 weatherby. Pac nor and ptg have reamers for it.

As others have said, total waste of powder through diminishing return.
The ideal WEATHERBY case for 6.5 projectiles is the 257 or 270 wby, good barrel life( twice that of the 6.5-300, probably 8x 6.5-378)
140s at 3300fps.

What is the average gain in a gain twist barrel?

That is a good question. Some of it has to do with what bullet you plan to shoot. I lead core bullet most cases I have been told will not do good with a fast gain twist barrel but its fine with solid bullets. Mine is only going from 1:8.25 at the breach to 1:7.5 at muzzle. The barre is 32" finish length. Mine is considered a mild gain twist.

There is no set average gain twist that I know of. They make them to order by what the customer wants.

I don't think you've shot yourself in the foot, establishing it's better is a bit more difficult.
I'm thinking my next one will use gain twist-I'd be very interested in how it works for you.

I hope you are right. This barrel should see a lot of speed. Hoping to get the 198 flat lines to around 3600 or more for ELR work and the 230s around 3300 fps for hunting. Then use the 245 berger when it comes out.
I am very interested to see how it works as well. I am interested to see if copper fouling is worse with the gain twist.

Hopefully you will have better luck than me. This is my 26 nosler. Took the pic today at the origin of rifling. Round count is 300. Ive had issues with any kind of consistency. It will stack a few holes and then throw some shots. There was one day I got some great results with 120 E-tips, but could never get it to repeat. Eventually when i rebarrel it, it will probably be a 28 nosler or something with less overbore. I havent given up on it yet, but struggling to find a load with any consistency. Which unfortunately continues to eat the throat.

Attachments

• PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 189
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.