Planning large scale bullet testing, input needed

barnesuser28

Hello everyone, it has been awhile! I am planning on doing some large scale bullet testing and need some input. I am planning on testing primarily bullets intended for long range hunting/shooting so most of the heavy weight Bergers, CE, Barnes LRX, Hornady ELD-M/X, Nosler LR accubonds, and more. I will be testing with 10% ballistics gel and using a specialized high density foam that is designed for testing in the medical field to simulate bone. I am wondering at what impact velocities you would like to see tested. I think the high end for most people shooting heavy-for-caliber bullets will be around 2500-2700 fps impact velocity. I think other valuable testing velocities would be 2200 fps, 1800fps, and 1600fps. Does this seem like a reasonable range for testing that would be helpful for many in the long range hunting crowd? Thanks for any input!

Hello everyone, it has been awhile! I am planning on doing some large scale bullet testing and need some input. I am planning on testing primarily bullets intended for long range hunting/shooting so most of the heavy weight Bergers, CE, Barnes LRX, Hornady ELD-M/X, Nosler LR accubonds, and more. I will be testing with 10% ballistics gel and using a specialized high density foam that is designed for testing in the medical field to simulate bone. I am wondering at what impact velocities you would like to see tested. I think the high end for most people shooting heavy-for-caliber bullets will be around 2500-2700 fps impact velocity. I think other valuable testing velocities would be 2200 fps, 1800fps, and 1600fps. Does this seem like a reasonable range for testing that would be helpful for many in the long range hunting crowd? Thanks for any input!
Wow, welcome back! I was wondering where you were.
Sounds great! I guess the bullets Im the most interested in are the new Atips. Particularly the 230 and 250 .308's

A visual for a high twist barrel and lower twist barrel would be awesome!
Other than that 308 to 300 rum velocities for me.

I have had impact velocities that ranged from 3400+ w. .257 115 Berger HVLD, 3600+ .257 100 SMK & TTSX, 3100+ 6.5mm 140 HVLD & 150 SMK, so some high velocity testing would be great too.

Wow, welcome back! I was wondering where you were.
Sounds great! I guess the bullets Im the most interested in are the new Atips. Particularly the 230 and 250 .308's
Hey Rich! I will definitely give them a try, the 250s might not stabilize in the 30/375 S.I. but I will give them a chance.

I have had impact velocities that ranged from 3400+ w. .257 115 Berger HVLD, 3600+ .257 100 SMK & TTSX, 3100+ 6.5mm 140 HVLD & 150 SMK, so some high velocity testing would be great too.
I will do as high as I can with the rifles I currently have (for now).

Do you plan to reduce velocity or shoot at the range needed to get the velocity desired?
That is something i am still trying to decide on. I would like to shoot at the range needed to get the desired velocity in order to account for the differences between the decay of rotation vs. decay of impact velocity, however getting hits on gel at those kinds of distances may prove to be an issue when testing a large sample of bullets. Might just have to make a massive gel block.

Hey Rich! I will definitely give them a try, the 250s might not stabilize in the 30/375 S.I. but I will give them a chance.

I will do as high as I can with the rifles I currently have (for now).

That is something i am still trying to decide on. I would like to shoot at the range needed to get the desired velocity in order to account for the differences between the decay of rotation vs. decay of impact velocity, however getting hits on gel at those kinds of distances may prove to be an issue when testing a large sample of bullets. Might just have to make a massive gel block.
Rotation effect is real!
BTW. I have a new reamer that you can use to clean up your old chamber easily and will allow you to shoot Hornady factory PRC ammo and its also a boost in performance to the old S.I. chamber that you now have. I'll let you borrow it and it will chase the lands a bit too

One important regime to test is the minimum velocity where the bullet will open in soft material enough to be considered useful.

That velocity allows one to help determine what the longest range where his or her shot should be taken. Other factors in that determination are calm wind accuracy, and the effects of wind drift, etc.

Some view minimum acceptable expansion is 1 caliber at the nose. Perhaps this community can refine that standard.

Main question regarding effect of RPM on minimum expansion velocity and rate at higher velocities is which side of "right on" does one want to be.

For threshold velocity, the reduced MV technique means that one is more sure of expansion at velocity above the estimated threshold.

For expansion rate, on can be reasonably sure of more violent reaction at distance when the reduced MV method is used in lieu of actually placing the ersatz bone / gel target way out yonder.

Main question regarding effect of RPM on minimum expansion velocity and rate at higher velocities is which side of "right on" does one want to be.

For threshold velocity, the reduced MV technique means that one is more sure of expansion at velocity above the estimated threshold.

For expansion rate, on can be reasonably sure of more violent reaction at distance when the reduced MV method is used in lieu of actually placing the ersatz bone / gel target way out yonder.
also reduced velocity method can result in bullet "tumbling" through media resulting in almost zero expansion. With reduced velocity simulation I've seen bullets appear to fail badly when in reality they work well.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/effect-of-bullet-spin-on-terminal-performance.224946/

VERY interested in this. Was wondering if you would place the plastic sheet square in the gel or at an angle to simulate a glancing blow to bone. As previously mentioned, at distance would be much more informative, but I also understand the troubles associated with it. Any info you provide will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.