7MM bullet input

From the info you have given, I think you should give the accubonds a ride. They will not disappoint , and have worked very well for myself and many many others.

In response to the original post, don't shoot SST's anymore. If your goal is to track blood find a good bonded bullet that bores a pencil hole through the deer and bleeds out both sides. As far as I am concerned the SST has not disappointed me in any way. Everything I have seen shot with them dropped within 30'. Just my experience. I have only hunted with the SST this year and am still searching for accuracy. I might move on to other bullets. To complain that a bullet didn't satisfy your needs because it applied 100% of it's energy to the animal and turned the lungs to jello doesnt sound like a bullet failure. More like a deer that wasn't hit in enough vitals and did the typical deer run. Personally I don't like tracking blood. Good luck with your quest.

For those unaware the 9th edition Hornady manual calls out the SST to be recommended for medium and large game. Not varmits. FYI

You realize how fast a dear can cover 250 yards right? I'd bet at least 2x as fast as a human. Minimum.
If a human can live for 15 seconds without blood flow to the brain, how long do you think a deer can live?

That's NOT bullet failure. That's expiration due to blood loss.
If you want instant kills, then use a bullet designed for that purpose.

If a deer walks or trots for 15 seconds with a blood loss rate of (drops / yard)...it will leave a good blood trail.
If a deer runs at FULL SPEED for 15 seconds with the exact same blood loss rate...it will leave a very difficult blood trail.

The problem is not the bullet. It's what your bullet is designed to do, in relation to where you place it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.