Planning large scale bullet testing, input needed

Yes but how much difference is hard to determine. Using a faster twist barrel with reduced velocity loads can compensate some what for the difference. The best results would still be shooting at distances that would be true to the field experience. I do realize the difficulty this entails. Just pointing out the restrictions this type of test presents

In order to maximize results and minimize effort, perhaps running fewer tests at wider velocities to bracket failures would reduce the number of shots needed.

Perhaps 2 tests for each bullet initially. The fastest you can send them at very close range, and a test at the longest range you can make a hit, with a reduced load to simulate minimum manufacturer suggestions.

If the bullet performs properly at both speeds, no need to test it in the middle. If the bullet fails at high speed, retest a couple hundred fps slower. If bullet fails at low speed, retest a couple hundred fps faster.

I would like you to test impact velocities at higher speeds like simulating close shots with the LR bullets as many people are saying the LRAB and ELDX are gernading at close range at high velocity...of coarse the low range too 1500. Very curious about the new fed edge TLR

Definitely interested in the high speed testing as well. An LR hunting bullet is useless to me if it doesnt work at close range.

Also agree with tests at Long Range, not just reduced loads, the info is much more valuable.

Rotation effect is real!
BTW. I have a new reamer that you can use to clean up your old chamber easily and will allow you to shoot Hornady factory PRC ammo and its also a boost in performance to the old S.I. chamber that you now have. I'll let you borrow it and it will chase the lands a bit too
Once this current batch of brass gets retired I will take you up on that, it is shooting so good now I don't want to mess with it!

In order to maximize results and minimize effort, perhaps running fewer tests at wider velocities to bracket failures would reduce the number of shots needed.

Perhaps 2 tests for each bullet initially. The fastest you can send them at very close range, and a test at the longest range you can make a hit, with a reduced load to simulate minimum manufacturer suggestions.

If the bullet performs properly at both speeds, no need to test it in the middle. If the bullet fails at high speed, retest a couple hundred fps slower. If bullet fails at low speed, retest a couple hundred fps faster.
I think this is likely the correct approach, I will test the bullets at the fastest velocity i can get them to shoot out of the rigs I have and test on bone-in gel for the worst case scenario. Then i will try to test at distance with full power loads on gel only for the worst case scenario (between ribs) at 1800 fps or so as a baseline and go from there, as in my opinion any bullet that doesn't expand at 1800 fps is useless for long range hunting. This should provide the most valuable results with the least amount of effort. I will definitely also test the effects on twist rate on expansion in the future on a limited number of bullets. Will probably start with a 1-8" twist .223 rem vs 1-12" twist .223 rem and test a 30 caliber comparison depending on what that data shows.

I have dozens of tests I want to perform that range from barrel-life tests, to terminal ballistics (i will leave the BC and other flight testing to Bryan Litz ), silencers, muzzle brakes, and possibly some archery gear as well as I work to make some of this testing stuff financially viable in the next year or so.

I would like you to test impact velocities at higher speeds like simulating close shots with the LR bullets as many people are saying the LRAB and ELDX are gernading at close range at high velocity...of coarse the low range too 1500. Very curious about the new fed edge TLR
I had heard rumors of the Nosler LRAB blowing up too so I recently did a wet newspaper test with them and Bergers. With about 20 inches of newspaper tied together the 175 lrab went all the way thru it. Berger 175 EH blew up only getting in about 12 inches with only fragments of jacket left, from a 7 Saum running them @ 3000 fps. At 400 yd with 180 vld it had 65 grains left and the lrab had 73 gr left and a lot more penetration. At 600 the lrab had 127 grains left and good penetration with a nice mushroomed bullet. I'm going to try them at 1000 yd next time and see how they expand at 2000 fps. Hope to get some gel made, but if not do the wet paper again. Like what I see with them so far!

Lonnie

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.