Pillar bedding tubberware stock

I wouldn't bother with pillars in a Tupperware stock. I don't care for the stocks, but I doubt they would really see a benefit from pillars.

On the other hand, the stocks are seldom stress free as delivered. So they do usually benefit from free floating and epoxy bedding as per the instructions others have provided. I usually rough up the plastic and drill it full of holes at the front and rear area under the action for the epoxy to adhere to. Never had a problem.

Is Score High even allowed to ship outside the country ?
It may fall under ITAR bans, but cannot confirm yet. OP says stuff disappears in customs. Locally, there is probably nothing sold related to firearms, presumably.
I searched for "machine shops" there and found nothing. So, his desire to make it himself is all he has.

Thanks i appreciate your comment, we have most mainstream brands of ammo ill be reloading at a buddy of mine as they have all the equipment i just bought dies. By sighting system do you mean scope or something else? I have not bought scope i have save up some more im just to impatient to wait for the license to be processed before i asked questions. I want to pillar it because i was concerned that the stock squishing with make it difficult to torque the screws the correct amount.

If you can find some 5/16th inch tubing (inside diameter of tubing), you can cut the tubing to length so that it just sits about the wood where the trigger guard sits; about a hair above the wood, the same with the front pillar. You could make a couple of wax-paper washers to place between the screws and the floor-plate to help hold the pillar so that it sticks up just about the wood. Once the epoxy is hardened they will come right out. Drill the wood out so there is enough clearance around the tubing for the epoxy to sit in around the tubing and file a couple of notches in the tubing/pillar so that the epoxy will hold the pillar a little better. You can file notches in the tubing by chucking the tubing up in a drill press or hand drill and using the edge of a file while the drill is running' three or four notches and they don't have to be that deep. MAKE sure that when you screw the floor plate into place, you have a good amount of release agent on the floorplate so that it releases when the epoxy is hardened. And.....you don't have to jack the screws down hard while the epoxy is hardening, just enough to hold things together.

Done plenty and pillar bedding in these stocks really isnt necessary. Undercut the sides and ruff up the base. No need to drill holes as they get hard to fill and can weaken the stock. Use isopropyl alcohol to clean the stock surfaces where you are going to bed. After bedding float the barrel. I use rocol teflon spray as a release agent on the metal parts that I dont want perminantly stuck.

Attachments

• 20200416_110820.jpg
    20200416_110820.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 63
I've watched every episode of gunsmoke for the 5th time during my alone time. Just finished the Ponderosa seires and now on to the Virginian. The things you do when your bored stiff. Heck I will work on people's guns for free right now to get out of the house.
Shep
My 8-track player broke down half way through my "Have Gun, Will Travel" library.:mad:

I like all of the above. Bacon makes the world go round. I saw a 100 yr old veteran interviewed and when ask how he got to such an age he told them he ate bacon and ice cream and drank a bottle of whiskey and smoked cigars every day. He became my hero right then.
Shep

I bought the same Rem 223 Varmint for my grandson three years ago. It shoots 50, 55, and 62 gn bullets into less than MOA at 100 yards from a rest. The only change we made was to adjust trigger to 2.25 lbs, and free-float stock (it was contacting barrel using a front rest). This improved groups. Best groups so far were .255".

I've never tried this, but you could get a fine thread tap that would barely cut threads in the screw holes. That would insure that the epoxy would not slip in the hole.
Taps can break.
Threads for a Rem 700 action/trigger guard screws are 1/4" - 28 tpi. Find a1/4"-28tpi hex bolt 2/1/2 " to 3" in length , cut the hex head off and you've got an inletting guide stud.

I've watched every episode of gunsmoke for the 5th time during my alone time. Just finished the Ponderosa seires and now on to the Virginian. The things you do when your bored stiff. Heck I will work on people's guns for free right now to get out of the house.
Shep
I'm actually looking forward to going to the Dentist today.

I bought the same Rem 223 Varmint for my grandson three years ago. It shoots 50, 55, and 62 gn bullets into less than MOA at 100 yards from a rest. The only change we made was to adjust trigger to 2.25 lbs, and free-float stock (it was contacting barrel using a front rest). This improved groups. Best groups so far were .255".
Case Closed. Thx sarge 👍

I have used threaded lamp tubing for making pillars. It works very well for me. I have also stiffened tupperware stocks by using a mix of epoxy mixed with iron filings along with small fiberglass rods that come out of fiber optic cable as the strength member. I lay the rods along the length of the forearm, encapsulating them with the epoxy mix. I use a heated rod to melt small holes along the stock inside to give the epoxy something to hold to. It works pretty well as a stiffener. For sure not the equal of a high dollar stock, but it does make a significant difference in how much the stock flexes under recoil.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts