Pillar bedding tubberware stock

Im buying my first rifle a 223 rem 700 and i do not have the funds to buy a new stock and probably wont for quite a while. I don't live in the US so even boyds stocks can get quite expensive. I was just wanted to know what you guyd would think about the idea of drilling a hole through a threaded rod and then heating it up(assuming i can keep it hot for long enough) and threading into the polymer stock to make the pillars since epoxy doesn't like sticking to those stocks. I just wanted to ask before potentially ruining a stock cant really replace at the moment on the Web
If you insist on pillar bedding your action screws to your synthetic stock I would purchase the aluminum pillars as a set for your Remington 700 rifle. I 've seen them already cut to the correct height and even having the correct clearance cut outs to fit your stock exactly. You can drill out the holes to about 1/32" oversize than the actual pillar diameter to allow for a little wiggle room for the pillars themselves. Make certain not to drill entirely through your stock. ( Measure your depths and carefully pre fit everything before the use of epoxy )
Now you can slightly score the aluminum pillars O. D. ( outside diameter ) . By creating a small series of grooves with a Dremel power tool you will give your epoxy an area to allow it to adhere. Bondo makes an epoxy that will adhere to plastic without shrinkage, I think that it is called 3M Platinum Plus.
I myself like Brownell 's Acura Glass Bedding, but you can always use good Old JB Cold Weld.
After your pillars have epoxy on their out side edges as well as little inside the stock in the stock where you have drilled out the action screw action holes , use the end of a cartridge case and gently press down on your pillars to seat them fully leaving again about .015" - .020" from seated flush. This will ensure that your rifles action is not a synthetic to metal fit. Ideally it should be a metal to aluminum fit with a slight floating action.
Carefully clean any excess epoxy off the area near the pillars themselves.
Before you secure your action to the rifles stock via the action screws take your time and clean any excess epoxy resin off the sides as well as top and bottom of your pillars. Pay additional attention and make certain not to allow any resin to settle into the insides of your pillaring. ( I have stated this fact twice because of its importance )
Finally place a release agent on your action screw threads and any place that your action will make contact with the pillars.
Finally carefully align your action to the stock remembering that the pillars have a little room to float. If done correctly and carefully your action will line up centering itself with your pillars once the action screws are in place hand tight only. Now assuming that you have lets say a Tifton Gun Vise lightly screw your action screws down being careful not to over torque them and I like using a flexible type of elastic (this is a very light plastic wrap that is used for physical therapy ) wrap one layer over your barrel, and one more over the rifles action. (to ensure that your action is fully seated against your pillars. Let it set for at least 8 hours. Overnight is even better, however 24 hours is an ideal time to allow for a full cure. Now if you have done everything correctly simply separate your action from its stock and with minimal cleanup and post fitting you should be good to go ! I would check the recommended action screw torque specifications form Remington. In my opinion these figures can vary depending on what alterations you have made In that light you must determine for yourself what the actual numbers are..
OBTW I've seen pillar sets for as little as $20.00 on the Web
Best of luck ! Hope this will help?
" Just my 2 cents worth"

Last edited:
My commentary has absolutely nothing to do with the OPs topic. However, In this COVID-19 crisis I'd like to share what I thought the OPs topic was.
"Pillar bedding TUPPERWARE stock "

I thought how and why in the hell would you make a Tupperware container into a stock. Showed the heading to my wife expecting to get quite the laugh out of her. With her typical look on her face( when I've done or said something STUPID) said slow your roll slick and read the title again. When she saw the look on my face she started to laugh!! Really hard. You know, that laugh your spouse has when you are the punchline of a joke. In the end We both had quite the laugh.
Thankx to the OP for making our day.
They love it when you say something dumb😂not calling you dumb, just know I've done it myself just the other day she still reminds me of it

Most of us on this site are used to being able to buy any thing at any time we want . In a lot of countries you can't just go and buy guns or gun parts . In a lot of countries you can't get gun parts imported , a lot of things made in the United States can't be shipped to other countries due to restrictions put in place by our government or theirs . Import tax's and shipping costs make it hard for some gun parts to be affordable for the average person in a lot of countries . In some other countries a 700.00 dollar rifle would be half a years wages and that is what makes a 25.00 dollar or free AK 47 or AK 74 so inviting to people in a lot of these countries .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts