Action bedding & Pillar bedding

mkbaquet

Which should be done first? Pillar bedding or glass bedding the action?
Rem. 700 Mtn. Rifle with wood stock in .280 Rem. 20 yrs old. Not shooting the 1/2 " 100 yd. groups it did when it was newer. Barrel has been cleaned of all foweling. Barrel was free floated when purchased. I figure that shooting over the years had added up wear & tear on the stock/contact points between stock & action.
Purchased ScoreHi Pro Bed 2000 Glass Bedding Kit & ScoreHi Delux Pillar Bedding Kit.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Oh... the reason I ask is that I have read & seen video of rifles actions being glass bedded which have already been pillar bedded. This just doesn't make sense to me. Pillar bedding is to have the pillars between the action & the screw heads. If you apply glass bedding compound after pillar bedding...wouldn't that add bedding compound between the action & the top of the pillars???

Last edited:
This doesn't specify which should be done first or discuss both, only how to glass bed the action. With no other advice, I guess I will epoxy in the pillars as per directions then glass bed the action.

Assuming you have the general basic concept of bedding and the right tools to do it. You'll want to epoxy in your pillars first. I like to mill out a pocket around where the pillars will protrude through the inside of the stock. Use release agent on the action and screws. I then attach the pillars to the action. Spread the epoxy on the pillars. I use Devcon 5 min. epoxy. Once the epoxy is spread on the pillars crack the screw loose so there is a little wiggle room. With the barreled action laying upside down on the bench with the pillars pointing towards you slip the stock onto the barreled action. Re-tighten the screws. Leave it lay upside down until the epoxy has time to dry. I usually let them sit overnight to be sure. Remove the screws and pop the barreled action free I then grind away some of the excess epoxy that pushed up into the pocket with a flexible Dremel tool and small rotary file. I only grind enough so there's no air pockets or under cuts and to rough up the epoxy for the bedding to stick to. The bedding material will locks itself onto the pillar creating a double lock of epoxy and bedding. Then bed the rifle. I like to use Marine Tex but there's other materials that work as well. Once the bedding is spread all over the action area drop in the barreled action. Snug up the screws and any excess bedding will ooze its way out. Clean up with lots of Q-tips. It's much easier to do it if you watch someone do one first, or have a junk stock to practice on.

Last edited:
Thanks...that sounds like what I plan to do. I've watched all the bedding vids I can find & read all I can. My only concern is drilling out the holes for pillar bedding. I have a vice & drill press but that's the only thing that concerns me. I think it will be ok though.
I'll let you know how things turn out. I will probably stary Sunday or next Wed.

I have had the same issues. I get the idea of first putting in the pillars. Then glass bed. On a wood stock how much wood should you remove/scrape away in the action area? On the recoil mortise, I am told you should put tape on the front of the action's lug that fits into this area so that after the job is finished the lug rests solid against the back of the mortise but there is a small amount of space between the front of the lug and the stock.
Do most of you free float the barrel? Add a dab of bedding at the nose of the stock? Bed the entire barrel?
My rifle is a Rem700.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.