Pillar bedding a X-Bolt

Still currently at 813g, I cleaned up the action area and forgot about a gouge I filled on the exterior, sanded that smooth and I guess the extra material in the action area offset what I sanded off the exterior.

Fit on the rear is fairly close, but the way the stock was manufactured, it will never be perfect. I was also surprised at how thick the exterior clear coat is, typical Browning thick epoxy, whether it's wood or carbon, glob it on and polish it like a diamond in a goat's a**.

I currently have 3 plies under the front action screw area. Two at 45º in an X pattern and one running the same orientation as the action itself. We'll see how close I am when it cures. I have a plug in the magazine well area and can't see the fit. Looking at during the dry run, it was pretty close.

Fingers crossed and another night of anxiety.

We'll see if it comes out in the morning.

We have two McMillan XIT stocks that have to be fully inletted and put pillars in. Got Bat Actions Single shot. Basically have to mill out the action and then a cut for the trigger and bolt handle. Also the barrel channel on one is taking 1.35" barrel. Just going to have to use some good marking material on the actions when fitting into the stocks to show where to cut.
Another way behind project. Should have had McMillian do it at the factory, but bought these from Bruno's. Was told they were already inlet for the Bat actions we have. Well there was a Tang outline cut.
May as for some suggestion.

Weighed 814g this morning, that will drop once I trim out the excess and finish sand the edges.

Straight from the vise after I pulled the action. I did have to remove the front screw to get it out though., shoddy tape job one my part, had some wrinkles up from the action that prevented from sliding all the way off.

I think one more ply of carbon fiber on the front and it's time to bed this bad boy. Decided to use the 6.5 PRC action, since it was what I used for the barrel channel build up and because it's where this stock best fits, carry/use wise. Although, the 18" 6.5 Creedmoor will fit just as handily and has the same contour. I have a decision to make this weekend when it comes time to install pillars and bed the action.

The more I use this Mequiar's wax, the more trusting I become of it. One brush to apply and a clean dry 2nd brush to remove and buff the excess.

IMG_1484.jpeg
IMG_1483.jpeg

IMG_1509.jpeg

Hey @Darryle , I did one of these X-bolts, a HCLR in 30 Nos using 1/4" stainless tubing for "pillars". A 3/8" drill made them a snug fit in the stock and JBWeld held them in until I bedded it with JBWeld as well. Tubing is not thick enough to interfere with the magazine or bottom metal on the rear screw. Action slips in easily and tightens in 1/8-1/4 turn. Made the rifle shoot much better.

I was having trouble to get it to shoot worth a darn and noticed the action when putting in stock had to be pushed down and the front screw was snug to turn all the way in. Action drops in and screws now turn in freely.

I've used the stainless tubing and bedding for 2 Rem 700 and a WBY Vanguard.

Great job Darryle, really good project.

How did the X-Bolt shoot from the factory? I'm looking at buying one

Buzz, I never shot it, it was a barreled action and I bought this stock for it. When I finally got around to the project, it turned into a cluster. I haven't had a single X-Bolt that wouldn't shoot at least MOA from the factory with the majority shooting way less than that. I suspect this one will be the same. If not, gives me a reason to rebarrel it.

Hey @Darryle , I did one of these X-bolts, a HCLR in 30 Nos using 1/4" stainless tubing for "pillars". A 3/8" drill made them a snug fit in the stock and JBWeld held them in until I bedded it with JBWeld as well. Tubing is not thick enough to interfere with the magazine or bottom metal on the rear screw. Action slips in easily and tightens in 1/8-1/4 turn. Made the rifle shoot much better.

I was having trouble to get it to shoot worth a darn and noticed the action when putting in stock had to be pushed down and the front screw was snug to turn all the way in. Action drops in and screws now turn in freely.

I've used the stainless tubing and bedding for 2 Rem 700 and a WBY Vanguard.

I have 3/8" outside diameter aluminum spacers 1 1/2" long. Being in aviation, I have learned without a composite bond, some alloys don't like metal infused epoxies, they do not adhere well or for long, brass, lead, nickel and stainless being 4 of the worst. YMMV

I will stick with aluminum pillars ran thru a 3/8" die for "threads" to grip in the epoxy when it comes time to install them.

I have 3/8" outside diameter aluminum spacers 1 1/2" long. Being in aviation, I have learned without a composite bond, some alloys don't like metal infused epoxies, they do not adhere well or for long, brass, lead, nickel and stainless being 4 of the worst. YMMV

I will stick with aluminum pillars ran thru a 3/8" die for "threads" to grip in the epoxy when it comes time to install them.
I roughed up the exterior and did some shallow grooves of just a few 0.001s plus some in the wood. Been several years on a couple of them and no issues.

Well, there's a hitch now.

Set this up to open both the front and rear action screw holes and noticed this when I started the the mill into the rear screw hole.

This explains the mushiness I was experiencing. I don't know what changed with the pro stocks from Browning since inception, but this has a cellular type foam core. I am going to clamp it in my vise after I inject the crack with epoxy and then figure out how to reinforce the area under the action. I have fiberglass, kevlar and carbon weave available. I will probably lay a couple of plies of carbon weave under the action wrapped up to the edges of the inlet.

If it doesn't hold firmly after the repair and the pillars are installed, then McMillan will get a call.

View attachment 504809
I think Mcmillian makes a good stock. But I've had problems. I'll be interested to see what they say. When I bought a stock from them, not cheap, the warranty said if you modify it it will void the warranty. You have to modify it to bed the action. Please let us know. Good luck.

I think Mcmillian makes a good stock. But I've had problems. I'll be interested to see what they say. When I bought a stock from them, not cheap, the warranty said if you modify it it will void the warranty. You have to modify it to bed the action. Please let us know. Good luck.

This is a factory Browning stock.

Cleaned up the previous days work and then decided to add one more ply of carbon fiber weave with a few loose random strands of weave in the bottom of action inlet running along side of the front action screw, across the inlet in front and behind the screw.

Now I am at 815g and actually a bit high, the front tape wrap on the barrel had a bit of a gap I could feel when squeezed. So, now I will sand down and fit the action, open the front action screw hole again to fit the pillar, get everything lined up horizontally again and install the pillars. Once they are in place, I am going to add a ply or two of carbon fiber wrapped around the rear of the magazine well to lock in the rear pillar. I am going machine the pillars to set the bottom metal height and then epoxy bed the bottom metal to the stock. Once that cures, I will bed the front and rear of the action. The I will fix the chip in the top of the grip at the rear tang along side the safety. I am still contemplating a ply of carbon fiber in the barrel channel to seal and reinforce the filler I used, also for looks. I have got to come up with a paint scheme worthy of this wasted effort. I have sponges, air brush and small Devilbiss touch up gun. Action of the two candidates, 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 PRC are Burnt Bronze Cerakote. Maybe y'all can throw out some ideas and let's see what sticks.

Straight out of the vise this morning. Much better pressure this time around.

IMG_1553.jpeg

Previous morning's picture to see the difference between the pressure

IMG_1483.jpeg

One thing is evident, I truly suck at taking pictures with this new IPhone 15 🤣🤣

Recent Posts