Pillar bedding a X-Bolt

Easier to see the before and after this way
IMG_1221.jpeg
IMG_1371.jpeg

Looking good!!
It's going to be better then new I'm sure

I hope, actually I really surprised that Browning has gotten away with selling these as a "Pro" version stock. The carbon is thin and whatever this substrate is inside the stock is very porous, soaks up adhesive and is surprisingly brittle. I am going to have to find my heat lamp oven to finish this out by sealing all the pores in the magazine well and trigger box. I am going to lay a ply of carbon fiber weave in the barrel channel after everything is is complete to seal off the syntactic foam build up that I used to close up the heavy sporter barrel channel.

Currently I am at 813g total weight of the stock. I started with the original stock with factory bedding at 801g total weight.

801g = 28.254oz
813g = 28.678oz

Last edited:
Now I finally have the rear tang setting where I want it. I worked the past two days sanding and dry fitting the back the stock to get the action to just below the stock lines. Then I went to work on the front. It took several wraps of electrical tape on the barrel to get the front of the action to sit properly with stock lines and center in the "new" smaller barrel channel. Once that was complete, I didn't like the gap along both sides of the action front to back, seemed excessive to me. So I cut a full length piece of carbon, trimmed a hole for the rear headless bolt and a notch for the front. I mixed up a small batch of WS 206 and wet out the carbon fiber, put a "primer" coat of WS 206 on the stock inlet and laid in the carbon. I placed the action in the stock directly on the wet carbon and zip tied it in place with 4 heavy duty zip ties pulled tight with side cutters.

I was really anxious about this because there are a lot of notches, cutouts and miscellaneous doodads on an X-Bolt action.

I let it cure for 12hrs and popped it out this morning, because the anxiety was killing me.

Here it is fresh from the mold. You can see the pressure points and those with no pressure, the rear points are where the bolt release and trigger attach. The rear now has 4 plies of carbon fiber over the crack, 3 plies as weave and 1 ply as strands running longitudinal with stock, under this current ply. I will start the process of building up the front like the rear and then I will epoxy bed the front and rear of the action.

Right or wrong, here is where I am.

IMG_1457.jpeg

****Edit to correct grammatical and phrasing errors****

Last edited:
I will weigh it at each stage to see total weight added. I am going to add an adjustable comb like Manners uses, the thin carbon fiber bolt on. I just have to find my threaded nutserts for the installation of the attachment points.

I will weigh it at each stage to see total weight added. I am going to add an adjustable comb like Manners uses, the thin carbon fiber bolt on. I just have to find my threaded nutserts for the installation of the attachment points.
If you need some I would have a couple different styles and sizes