Picky amax's

mcharger440

So I've been shooting 140 amax's in my 260 rem ar platform 24" benchmark barrel timney 3.5lb trigger, anyways, I was grouping about 5"@500yds with 40.4 grains of aa4350 wlr primers and col of 2.785 @2650 fps I've been shooting that load a while and it was the only consistent load I had found and just a fan of cratering on the primers. This weekend I decided to heat it up a bit with the same col I loaded 10@ 40.5, [email protected], 10@ 40.7, [email protected], [email protected], and 10@ 41.0gr all shot about the same until I hit the 41.0 gr mark all of a sudden I went to 2.25" group with no major pressure signs, so I loaded 10 more and got a best of 2" group @ 500yds... Have any of you had a similar experience with a bullet

If I understand what your saying its shooting better the hotter you get it. If that's they case then yes it makes sense. Most of my 6.5x284s I shoot shoot well with around 46grs of h4831 and then seem to shoot well in that 52grs area. That's off memory of a year or two ago so no one use that info unless you double check me first. What I'm saying is generally a gun shoots in nodes and you might have hit a higher node that may be more consistent. I hope I answered your question. By the way those 140 amaxs are hard to beat for a deer bullet and I would use them on elk at long range if I was using my 6.5x284s for elk but most of the time I run a stw or 300rum on elk also with amaxs

Oh ya most of the time .1 grains won't make any difference or not enough to be notable. Did you switch powder lots like did you open a new can of powder?

I have had similar results with my 6.5x55 sm, and 140 Ajax. Same on my 6-06 both guns like hot rounds with the amaxs. I don't know about .1 gr changing 2 1/2" but .5 in my swede will change from 2.5 at 500 to 10"

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.