285 Hornady BTHP and AMAX's on game?

jonthomps

Has anyone used the .338 Hornady BTHP or AMAX match bullets on big game - specifically elk? If you have what were the distances and what were the results? I already know the Hornady 250gr BTHP won't open up.

I have shot nearly 30 whitetails, wild hogs and coyotes with these bullets using .338 EDGE rifles. Distances were from 20 to 400 yds. The terminal performance was very good. Only a few moved at all after the shot. The 285BTHP opens quicker than the 285 Amax. Gary

I have shot nearly 30 whitetails, wild hogs and coyotes with these bullets using .338 EDGE rifles. Distances were from 20 to 400 yds. The terminal performance was very good. Only a few moved at all after the shot. The 285BTHP opens quicker than the 285 Amax. Gary

That's great news! I was worried the BTHP would act like the 250 BTHP and not open at all. I've been doing load work up with my 338LM and it doesn't seem to like the 300gr bergers at all so I'm going to have to find a different bullet else she likes.

Anyone have any results from distance? 600 and out?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.