Picking out a 6.5 cartridge

I am hesitant to post this as it's not really an answer to the OP's question, but I'm going to throw it out there anyways.

I'm a big 6.5mm fan but have recently become even more impressed with .257 cartridges now that Berger has the 133 and 135 bullets. I've ran the numbers many times, and a .257 Berger 135gr being shot out of any of the aforementioned 6.5 parent cartridges will outperform the 6.5 version.

I'm shooting a 25 PRC and getting 3250fps from a 24" Bartlein with the 135s. One step to neck down 6.5 brass with a FL bushing die. Bullets are easy to find as of yet. Just something to consider.

Last edited:
I am hesitant to post this as it's not really an answer to the OP's question, but I'm going to throw it out there anyways.

I'm a big 6.5mm fan but have recently become even more impressed with .257 cartridges now that Berger has the 133 and 135 bullets. I've ran the number many times, and a .257 Berger 135gr being shot out of any of the aforementioned 6.5 parent cartridges will outperform the 6.5 version.

I'm shooting a 25 PRC and getting 3250fps from a 24" Bartlein with the 135s. One step to neck down 6.5 brass with a FL bushing die. Bullets are easy to find as of yet. Just something to consider.
You are killing me, lol. I want to build one on a Tikka platform to have more freebore. I have no money right now. ARGHHH.

G'Day Fella's,

Jacob Strass, FYI, another often over looked 6.5mm cartridge, is the 6.5 Remington Magnum?
I am presently in the process of building one myself, based on a Rem, Model 7 action.
This will be another lightweight mountain hunting rifle, and a companion to my custom (made by me), .350 Rem Mag.
The biggest issue you may have, would be finding cartridge cases?
Luckily, Bertram Brass make them (Australia Made, and available from Huntington Die Specialties, in CA, USA), so that shouldn't be an issue.
FYI, This is also where I purchased my RCBS, 6.5mm Rem Mag, 2 die set from.

Hope that helps.

Regards
Homer

I have:
->5.6 CM for competition (RUGER Precision Rifle0

->6.5 PRC for long range hunting here in Nevada (Browning X-Bolt Pro)

The 6.5 PRC is enough for all the big game I'll hunt in Nevada. Good with lighter 130 gr. bullets for coyotes too.

Every single time someone merely suggests a creedmoor, because it's the easy button (twisted correctly from manuf., high bc-match factory ammo..lots) someone must reply "its not magic"

Nobody said it was magic. Nobody thinks it defies physics.
yeah, some do. i love my 6.5 cm, but many ignore the 260 lime the 6.5 is superior. its area of superiority is not ballistics, it is relatively inexpensive , match quality ammo (at least when it was introduced ) that allowed/allows non reloaders to buy a good rifle, relatively inexpensive like a ruger 6.5. and go shoot long range and be competitive. my beef is thos who then extrapolate to the hunting arena and belive that because it is a wonderful thousand yard comp gun it is also a capable/ethical or even ideal thousand yard hunting round for big game. at the same time dismissing the 260. dont get me wrong, most people on the forum know this. not arguing for one or the other, i own more than one of each. but. there are still thos who believe the 6.5 cm or even the grendel are gr8 long range big game guns. depends on their definition of LR. i think the 6.5 in all iterations is a gr8 hunting round, if using good bullets. making accurate shots and being realistic about the inherent limits of each cartridge. long live 6.5's!

260 still rocks.

20220803_212001.jpg
20220802_085537.jpg

I bought a Savage Long Range Hunter 110 in 6.5 x 284. I loaded up 140gr Accubonds. 8 years ago the guys at the range told me my bullets weren't seated properly. After dialing in the scope, the 5 shot string was a tattered hold my dime covered walking out to the 100 yard target.

One year later, I bought 2 more of the identical rifles, one for each son. My loads from my gun performed identically. (I shot all 3 rifles to remove some factor of variability. )

I will add, the stocks on all 3, the finish failed miserably. They've become tacky to the touch. But, they are still accurate as heck!
I won that same rifle in 6.5x284 at an Egg Shoot about a dozen years ago…..Amazing shooter! Keeps up with my customs costing 5-10X more. Still going strong with over 1000 rounds through it!
200/500 yards.

Attachments

• 0EA1F7E4-F568-4340-AA46-7C340229C645.jpeg
    0EA1F7E4-F568-4340-AA46-7C340229C645.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 40
  • 16FA63C4-A502-4E5F-BD32-BE049212F392.jpeg
    16FA63C4-A502-4E5F-BD32-BE049212F392.jpeg
    230.8 KB · Views: 34