Picking out a 6.5 cartridge

As a build on lancetkenyon and Mike Mattison's comments: decide what terminal energy and impact velocity you want, at what distance. Then select your cartridge according.

In my case, hunting whitetail in narrow fire breaks / senderos in heavy timber / brush, I wanted reliable DRT. In my mind that meant it's best to have upwards of 2500 fps impact velocity and 2000 ft-lbs terminal energy. In 6.5 caliber only 264 Win Mag and 6.5 WSM meet that requirement at 500 yards, and even then it takes a pretty long barrel.

I picked 264 Win Mag because Norma makes pretty good cases for that chambering, and both ADG and Peterson make good 7mm Rem Mag brass that's easily necked down to .264 win mag dimensions.

If you want just plain easy go with 6.5CM. It's a great option with plentiful factory ammo options and great component support for reloading.

If you want more oomph go with the 6.5 PRC. It has the least downsides of the other options.

I'm looking at jumping into a different cartridge. I'm looking at a 6.5mm something or another, this will be built on a medium length action with the ability to change bolt faces. The ones I have been bouncing between is: 260 rem AI, 6.5-284, 6.5 prc, 6.5 saum, 6.5 Sherman max. I'm wanting something I can shoot the 140-156 out of for fun to distance and also put some heavier copper bullets in it to hunt with. Wanting to have a 20-22" barrel to run suppressed but not give up to much velocity. The 260 rem AI is the most intriguing to me, I'm mainly concerned I'll be giving up too much velocity in a 20-22" tube. Any thoughts or experiences with any of these cartridges are greatly appreciated.
With a 22 inch anything you will be giving up mucho velocity.

My Daughter shot this bull yesterday at 409 yards with a 20" barrel Gunwerks Magnus in 6.5 Creedmoor 140 ELD-M at 409 yards. He never took a step. This is her second bull with a 6.5 Creedmoor. She does shoot very well and takes her time for so shot placement
You go young lady! Awesome bull!

I'm looking at jumping into a different cartridge. I'm looking at a 6.5mm something or another, this will be built on a medium length action with the ability to change bolt faces. The ones I have been bouncing between is: 260 rem AI, 6.5-284, 6.5 prc, 6.5 saum, 6.5 Sherman max. I'm wanting something I can shoot the 140-156 out of for fun to distance and also put some heavier copper bullets in it to hunt with. Wanting to have a 20-22" barrel to run suppressed but not give up to much velocity. The 260 rem AI is the most intriguing to me, I'm mainly concerned I'll be giving up too much velocity in a 20-22" tube. Any thoughts or experiences with any of these cartridges are greatly appreciated
I'm looking at jumping into a different cartridge. I'm looking at a 6.5mm something or another, this will be built on a medium length action with the ability to change bolt faces. The ones I have been bouncing between is: 260 rem AI, 6.5-284, 6.5 prc, 6.5 saum, 6.5 Sherman max. I'm wanting something I can shoot the 140-156 out of for fun to distance and also put some heavier copper bullets in it to hunt with. Wanting to have a 20-22" barrel to run suppressed but not give up to much velocity. The 260 rem AI is the most intriguing to me, I'm mainly concerned I'll be giving up too much velocity in a 20-22" tube. Any thoughts or experiences with any of these cartridges are greatly appreciated.

I have 2 Bergara's one in 6.5 C and one in 6.5 PRC, Both shoot 1/2 MOA groups at 100, and the PRC will shoot .18 at 100, they are B-14 24" barrel and I reload my own stuff, but the Hornady 143 ELD-X and the 140 ELD match shoot almost the same,, Have run this out to 500 and was blown away, with out any thing done to the gun. With doing a custom load and setting off the lands, it really runs my reloads, many at 100 yds same hole, very impressive.

6.5 creed
6.5x47
6.5 prc
6.5rpm
260 rem

That would be my list of interesting 6.5 possibilities. All are good, just have pluses and minuses.

Psssst....get a 6 creed.

How "commercial" do you want your choice? In other words, 6.5 PRC has good support for brass, reamers, etc.

If you don't mind being more boutique then 6.5 SAUM or 6.5 SS has more horsepower.

Any of the three short magnums would be great in a mid length action with the proper freebore to take advantage of the extended COAL.

I love my 6.5 PRC X-Bolt. It shoots 156 Bergers mid 2900's with no effort and really good accuracy. And Lapua brass was easy to get.

If you want just plain easy go with 6.5CM. It's a great option with plentiful factory ammo options and great component support for reloading.

If you want more oomph go with the 6.5 PRC. It has the least downsides of the other options.
all true, but the cm is not magic. the 260 gives better
With a 22 inch anything you will be giving up mucho velocity.
not argumentative , but velocity isnt the be all and end all. short, light. handy wont be the fastest, most accurate. there are many things to consider, if the thread was someone wanting the, the 260 nosler or neck down 378 with a 30 inch barrel. im being ridiculous. guess thats why i have 260 x4, 6.5 x 68 improved, 264 win, 6.5 cm x 2, 6.5/280 ai or 6.5/06 ai, 65 x 47. 6.5 x 45, 6.5 06, 6.5 wsm, 6.5 x 55 x 2, and maybe a couple others. my favorite is probably the 260 or 260 ai, does everything a little better than cm if you handload. great in a short barrel. put a good bullet, in the right place, very effective. but there are many gr8 choices expressed here. no one best. IMHO.

I have 2 6.5prcs and run them as hard as you can no clickers . I guess it depends on the freebore and and who chambers . I've had clickers on a 6.5-06 it was my fault for too tight of head space .
I have 6-800 rounds down the tube on my 6.5 PRC X-Bolt. Multiple reloads on Hornady brass and no clickers. I'm just starting to use my Lapua brass so we'll see if it does the same.

I don't run over max but the best loads are up there near it.