Perigrine Bullets Sent me samples to test

I've been testing Peregrine 338 275 Rangemasters for a year and as I was working up loads for a new (then) LRKM along with Berger 300 OTMs was somewhat reluctant to state my anecdotal--and most unscientific--experiences. However, after summing up my first year's shooting with the LRKM I feel confident that my conclusions are at least accurate.

First I learned that the recommended "closest to lands" advice from Hermann and Alliwyn of Peregrine Bullets was sound. My testing ended (out of bullets) at .012 off which was the minimum they suggested. This year I'll edge closer ever watch-full of pressure signs. The LRKM's 31" Broughton 5c (5r) barrel is 1:9.3" twist. Replacement, soon, is a gain twist (9.5 -8) and 32" Bartlein cut rifled. (The changeout difference is due use of more monolithics up to 325 grains, not manufacturers; the Broughton is superb just not available in those configurations.) Cutting Edge, GS, and Rocky Mountain stressed a tighter twist and that reinforces my findings that, at least here in the Arctic, tighter twists are necessary due shooting temps; bullet stability decreases with the decreasing temperature. Sorry to digress, but these factors influence my "report."

Because, at least to 1000 yards, both bullets shot to nearly the same point of impact. Surprising as they're quite different. The Peregrines are longer, lighter, and mass weight distribution different that the Bergers. The acoustics of 1000 yard strikes are surely different--and more visible using Peregrines--on the steel! All bullets were/are hBN coated as is the bore. I used RL33, RL50, and VV n570 and I cannot recall any significant difference in speed (I'm not home right now and haven't access to my notes). Perhaps these comparisons are unfair because the Peregrine Matchmasters are specifically target fodder whereas the Bergers are used for both tactical and hunting.

So, in spite of the verbosity I can't yet come to any so-called "absolutes." But I'm sure working on it.

I've been testing Peregrine 338 275 Rangemasters for a year and as I was working up loads for a new (then) LRKM along with Berger 300 OTMs was somewhat reluctant to state my anecdotal--and most unscientific--experiences. However, after summing up my first year's shooting with the LRKM I feel confident that my conclusions are at least accurate.

First I learned that the recommended "closest to lands" advice from Hermann and Alliwyn of Peregrine Bullets was sound. My testing ended (out of bullets) at .012 off which was the minimum they suggested. This year I'll edge closer ever watch-full of pressure signs. The LRKM's 31" Broughton 5c (5r) barrel is 1:9.3" twist. Replacement, soon, is a gain twist (9.5 -8) and 32" Bartlein cut rifled. (The changeout difference is due use of more monolithics up to 325 grains, not manufacturers; the Broughton is superb just not available in those configurations.) Cutting Edge, GS, and Rocky Mountain stressed a tighter twist and that reinforces my findings that, at least here in the Arctic, tighter twists are necessary due shooting temps; bullet stability decreases with the decreasing temperature. Sorry to digress, but these factors influence my "report."

Because, at least to 1000 yards, both bullets shot to nearly the same point of impact. Surprising as they're quite different. The Peregrines are longer, lighter, and mass weight distribution different that the Bergers. The acoustics of 1000 yard strikes are surely different--and more visible using Peregrines--on the steel! All bullets were/are hBN coated as is the bore. I used RL33, RL50, and VV n570 and I cannot recall any significant difference in speed (I'm not home right now and haven't access to my notes). Perhaps these comparisons are unfair because the Peregrine Matchmasters are specifically target fodder whereas the Bergers are used for both tactical and hunting.

So, in spite of the verbosity I can't yet come to any so-called "absolutes." But I'm sure working on it.
Good info. If you email Alliwynn or Hermann either one of them can match you up with the corresponding Plainsmaster that is, or virtually is ballistically the twin to the rangemaster you are shooting.

There whole point in matching them is to allow you to do your load work up etc with the cheaper rangemaster and have very little if any POI change for the same load with the properly paired Plainsmaster.

The biggest thing I'm seeing so far is just ubelievably consistent terminal performance across a wide, wide range of impact velocities with minimal meat loss and DRT one shot kills.

I was raised to never waste any food at all if it was avoidable and to do my very best to ensure a quick and humane death to the game animals we hunt.

Admittedly, I'm pretty persnickety about both issues and as hard to please as anyone when it comes to bullet selection. I'm not a believer in magic or perfect bullets but these are as close to it as I've seen in over forty years of shooting and more than 30 years of loading my own. I started handloading around 1982 mostly out of a desire to get better accuracy and to a much greater degree better terminal performance on game.

I will be watching for data on the 6.5, 125gr bullet from the 264WM. I am guessing that you should get in the 3300 to 3400 fps range which should be extremely flat shooting and if they hold up well at that speed.

I will be watching for data on the 6.5, 125gr bullet from the 264WM. I am guessing that you should get in the 3300 to 3400 fps range which should be extremely flat shooting and if they hold up well at that speed.
If you want to try some and see what kind of velocity and accuracy you can get from them in the .264wm I can arrange it.

I got a notice from Hermann that he put some more 6.5's in the mail to me this week.

If you want to try some and see what kind of velocity and accuracy you can get from them in the .264wm I can arrange it.

I got a notice from Hermann that he put some more 6.5's in the mail to me this week.
PM me on the info I am interested in the 125gr 6.5.

PM me on the info I am interested in the 125gr 6.5.

Drop me an email at wildrosegsps at gmail.com .

What I have right now are completely experimental bullets in both 7mm and 6.5. These are the new VLR's I talked about being in development. These are literally from the first batch to come off of the lathe for testing. If they shoot and give similar performance as the 183gr .30 cal VLR's they are going to be a whole lot of fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts