Parent case for the 6.5-06 AI

gundog 571

Hi Everybody:
Mike here and I need words of wisdom on the new build that Iam about to do.

Putting a 6.5-06AI together, and need advise on the parent case to use when fire forming for this round. A good friend of mine told me to just simply take a 25-06 case run it through a 6.5 neck sizing die and shoot it. Others have told me to take the 270 Win case and run it through the neck sizer, trim to length and shoot it. Any Pro's and Con's to doing ether? Thanks much for your Help

PS I live in South Dakota in the heart of Pheasant Country. Just a quick Up-Date on the population. Hunting should be Great this year. Brood stock came through the winter just fine and the nesting birds have great brood numbers. Last years numbers were 4 to 6 chicks to each nesting hen. This year number is 6 plus birds to each nesting hen. The largest brood I have seen 14 birds. This year we should put a few extra birds in the Freezer. I will post more updates as if you folks want me to.

Thanks Everybody
GOD BLESS BLESS US ALL

I'm kinda partial to really good brass, soooooo if it was me, I'd probably go with this little jewel from Lapua.

.30-06 Springfield (7,62x63)
Case_3006_4PH7068.jpg

Of course it would mean a little more work but then I really enjoy the reloading process no matter how extensive it may get. In the end you'd have the best brass you could get.

You can go the routes you mentioned, and the choice is ultimately up to you. Either way you'll end up with a pretty potent round.

The 270- and 280 are 2.540" in length .

The 25-06 and 30-06 are 2.494" .

I had a 280AI built by Nathan Dagley and thought i could use 30-06 lapua brass many expierenced people on the board here thought it was too short and too much work -when you can buy ready to go nosler 280AI brass.

You won't have to trim the 30-06 lapua brass for a long time.....and as SS 7mm says you have absolute top-end cases to work with.
100pc. will nearly shoot the barrel out..

You should check with your gunsmith and ask him how his reamer is set-up .

For cartridge case dimensions you can go to -steves pages cartridge dimensions dot com- about every cartridge you can imagine.

The 6.5-06 AI is one hell of a cartridge -can't think of a better all around gun....

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.