Painting Stainless Steel?

jdawson

Good Morning everyone. I have a shilen Stainless Steel Match grade BBL 24" I was curious to know what coating(S) I can apply to the barrel so that I can spray paint it without the paint running off? gun)

Two things that I know of... Cerakote (or something along those lines) or doing a base coat of High-Temp paint. The kind designed for ovens, or engine blocks. Will adhere to SS with no issue and it won't wear off as quickly when the barrel heats up. Just remember you're better off doing a few thin coats than trying to lay one thick one down. That's how you avoid dripping/run off

Cerakote and KG gun cote. Both are bake on. They aren't difficult to apply. Just need a big enough oven.

I suppose Krylon. But it's nowhere near as nice.

I installed a brake on a Rem 700 SPS Tactical and the rifle had the black parkerized finish, so I just cleaned it real good with some Lacquer thinner and used krylon satin black and it matches perfect and holds up rather well. It is just starting to wear off on the front edge from taking it in and out of the soft case I carry it in. I also carry it coyote hunting and the branches don't seem to do any damage to it. If you scratch it just give it another shot of paint. Use a couple thin coats.
Tarey

After a good solvent cleaning and bead blasting, I have had good luck with "Aluma Hyde".

It is a spray on and requires no heat and is very durable.

J E CUSTOM

Cerakote is very good stuff.

myrifles004.jpg

By dasher20 at 2012-02-14

myrifles006.jpg

myrifles008.jpg

myrifles005.jpg

myrifles146.jpg

By dasher20 at 2011-12-24

myrifles133.jpg

myrifles144.jpg

I like the barrel in the last picture. Reminds me of the net nylons the strippers wear at the titty bars..............:)

I make quite a few stainless parts in my business and some of my customers paint them to match the color of the bike they put them on. Most just 'rough up' the polished finish I put on them with 400 grit wet/dry paper to give the paint something to bite into and rattle can 'em.

Aluminum is easier, you just color anodize it or zinc chromate it and then paint it.

I boughts some Alumi Hide from Brownells with that intent. It will add some thickness . Brownells has lots of products for that . I am now changing my mind on the Alumi hide as I have a forward preasure point on my Weatherby Lite. Good luck.

ARe you that curious or just condescending? Glossy is fine if you like it that way. You got something against gloss or are you just a dull boy?:)

Here's how we do it. We take our parts and soak them in a vat of break cleaner for at least half an hour. Then with rubber gloves on hands remove parts from degreaser/cleaner. Take parts and blast them with 100 grit. Blow off all debris and place in oven to chase off solvents. Take out of oven to cool and then apply coating. If you want it dull, mix ratios accordingly. If you want it more glossy add a bit more hardener. Then bake at 200 for 2 hours, or 300 for an hour if you want it faster. Dull or glossy it's all up to you.:)

I am a certified applicator. I know how it's applied. My question remains is what ratio did you use to get your rifles to look so shiney? I have run 16:1 and I use 120 grit aluminum oxide. I have never seen the level of gloss your pictures show especially with you using 100 grit. Do you exceed 16:1?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.