Help on painting stainless steel barrel

remcraz

I am wanting to paint my stainless steel barrel to match the bluing on my receiver. Does anyone know the best paint to use and the best color match. I really don't want to send it off to get it ceracoted.
Thanks Ted

Remcraz, Ceracoat can match up quite well and is very tough. Had an action, barrel, bottom metal, bolt, scope mounts and all screws done. Tough and looks great. Dura coat is not as tough and paint doesn't last at all. Had the Ceracoat done locally 3 years ago for $160, still not a scratch on it. Good luck

Like you I don't want to send my rifles away for anything if I can help it. I have not gone to the expense yet to be able to apply my own cerakote. I have quite good luck with duracoat. Preparation is always key and I use a good quality touch up gun to apply. A coat of clear goes a long ways to help and is really a must on multi colour finishes.

Why not get the barrel nitrocarburized and that will make it black. Here are a couple of nitrocarburized barrels. Cost is less than a paint job and it will make the barrel tougher and rifling last longer. Here is a nitrocarburized stainless barrel.

Attachments

• P1010966.jpg
    P1010966.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 270
I am wanting to paint my stainless steel barrel to match the bluing on my receiver. Does anyone know the best paint to use and the best color match. I really don't want to send it off to get it ceracoted.
Thanks Ted

There are several ways to coat a stainless barrel, the bake on finishes, and the slow cure epoxies

I have used the Brownells Aluma-hyde (Non Bake on) with good success, If you can use your wifes oven you can use one of the bake on finishes offered and not have to send the rifle off.

If you follow the instructions well, these finishes hold up very well.

J E CUSTOM

All of the paint options will slow the cooling of the barrel when you shoot it. Nitrocarburizing will not change the heat exchange characteristics of the barrel. Nitrocarburizing also costs about $100 a barrel depending on who does it and who ships it. I have had several painted barrels and have just recently retired the last one for a longer life nitrocarburized barrel. Why wouldn't you want a barrel that lasts longer and shoots cooler?

Thanks Ted

There are two Cerakote applicators near you, one likely within walking distance. You don't have to send your rifle anywhere if you don't want.

Cerakote Coatings: Resources: Applicator Locator

Sav1102239-29-2013.jpg

I have painted 4 rifles with Aluma hyde from Brownells; a Savage 110 223, a Rem700 7mmRM, a com Mauser 260, and a VZ24 military Mauser 7mmRM.
It is cheap ~ $10 per spray can, which will do ~ one rifle.
The guys at Brownells are very helpful with videos, email, and on the phone.
I consider it a one part epoxy paint.
Near Seattle the weather is warm enough for about one month per year.

So I built a paint box [looks like a miniature outhouse] out of wood, cardboard, and a 500 Watt heating plate from the Salvation Army.
It has a baffle in the bottom so the paint can't drip onto the heater.
It has a meat thermometer in the top.
The hangers are wires that come through the top to handles, so I can turn stock or barrelled action hanging in the paint box.

I like to paint at 90 degrees F.

I like it better than the Lacquer paints that give me brain damage or the Krylon camo paints that peel off during the hunt.

Attachments

• Hot box for painting one part epoxy c9-24-2013.jpg
    Hot box for painting one part epoxy c9-24-2013.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 145
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.