Stock Painting Help

ofdscooby

I would like to do some different colored webbing on my stock. I have a Stockade stock that I switched from a right to left hand. I'm going with a duracoat flat black for the base coat but I wanted to throw some webbing over it for texture. I was thinking of just lowering down the pressure on my airbrush till it just comes out as a weak stream but I'm worried that the dura coat will just flatten out and I wont get that texture. Can anyone shed some light on the subject and maybe suggest some products?

I have seen it done using air hose and a drizzle of paint . but in the old days we would just turn down air pressure on our paint guns(not airbrush) should work, try it on test area first to see effects

Ofdscooby,

I've tried a lot of different approaches to achieve texture and webbing, and with some types of paint it just won't work very well. I have never sprayed Duracoat, I use Cerecoat and KG Gunkote and I would think they are similar in solids or body you might say and to make a web with them would be a challenge. If you turn your air down and volume up it will give you specks like Manners uses for texture. You will have a hard time, as you already realized making the specks pronounced enough to make much of a difference. I use acrylic urethanes and have techniques that make the patterns and textures repeatable. Here's a picture of what you could do with urethanes.

Good Luck with your project.

Attachments

• xIMG_0066.jpg
    xIMG_0066.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 78
Here's the web and Speckle i did on my first attempt with Dura Coat.

Attachments

• 101_0163.jpg
    101_0163.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 101_0148.jpg
    101_0148.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 76
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.