painting new stock

hydehunter

buying a new rifle and it comes with a yucky camo paint job on it so I will repaint it with Desert Sand color but since I have never painted a stock is there any type of prep work other than wiping it down with paint thinner or alcohol. thanks Jim

A guy might want to make sure the new paint, that you're going to use, is compatible with the existing paint substrate. Not sure if the stock is wood, fiberglass,or plastic? A sheet of 320 grit silicone carbide paper will help with adhesion, in most cases.

I used a green abrasive scrub pad to scuff the surface on a Tikka stock. Then used alcohol to remove any oil, then scuffed again and used air compressor to get as clean as possible. I then used a textured base coat since the tikka stocks are kinda slick. Here's my wife's Tikka, I did a diy
Hydro dip. Made me some sweetie points with this.
IMG_3591.jpeg

I used a green abrasive scrub pad to scuff the surface on a Tikka stock. Then used alcohol to remove any oil, then scuffed again and used air compressor to get as clean as possible. I then used a textured base coat since the tikka stocks are kinda slick. Here's my wife's Tikka, I did a diy
Hydro dip. Made me some sweetie points with this.View attachment 475190
that looks pretty cool

Hydro dip. Made me some sweetie points with this.View attachment 475190
Beautiful paint job !! Add a little Gold and you would have LSU colors !!

I agree with scuffing & using a coat of primer as your base coat. Krylon makes a great series of totally flat camo colors for your over coat. Even more fun is to use some of the textured spray paints on slick finished stocks for the grip they provide in wet weather.

There's a couple good threads on DIY paint jobs on this forum. You may want to do a search. I decided to do a sponge paint job on my Remington 700 and followed the advice from the thread and turned out well for a first try.

thanks for the info guys. I am also stripping the wood stock on my CZ550 so I can do a nice oil finish and hope it has nice wood under the varnish they used. so far it is quite a difficult job stripping it. I think if the wood is very plain I will ship the stock out and have it hydro dipped saw a very nice burl maple coating