painting new stock

Here is my latest project. I have some black webbing spray and dead flat clear coming from Amazon. Should be good enough for a while...
tempImageDznXWT.png

I ended up with some stone texture paint then took some 320 grit paper to it to break the edges off then sprayed on a flat clear worked out great. the bad thing was when I was frustrated I ordered a Bell and Carlson stock for it now I have the American and European stock versions both about the same color

well got a bunch of the old varnish or what ever they used at CZ and the wood is as plain jane as it can be so might just paint it of send it off for Hydro Dip and have the burl maple done
Why not try picking a stain you like ? You may need to apply a couple coats to get the desired effect. And then coat with a polyurethane. I am going to try this with a stock Salvage stock I have. If it does not come out as desired. I only lost a few bucks in materials & time. I will go another route then. Using a stripper it should come off fairly easy being it's new & still kinda green.
edit never mind finished reading the post. lol

Why not try picking a stain you like ? You may need to apply a couple coats to get the desired effect. And then coat with a polyurethane. I am going to try this with a stock Salvage stock I have. If it does not come out as desired. I only lost a few bucks in materials & time. I will go another route then. Using a stripper it should come off fairly easy being it's new & still kinda green.
edit never mind finished reading the post. lol
I think you will be disappointed. Most of the newer wood on high production guns don't have the grain to give that WOW factor. Don't ask how I know. 🙄

I think you will be disappointed. Most of the newer wood on high production guns don't have the grain to give that WOW factor. Don't ask how I know. 🙄
My stock is a older Savage 110 C stock in 30-06. I just don't like the factory color which I assume was some sort of stain. As it is wearing off in spots. I believe this rifle seen more time going to the woods on walks once a year, than it was fired. The bluing is great, rifling sharp, but the stock has some wear. Even the crown is still blued. I think anything will be a improvement. I may even try to do some burnt wood if its that plain. I have a nice replacement stock. So this is just a trial & error. If all fails Paint or dip will work.

Recent Posts