Painted the wife’s new rifle! Manners midnight camo

Crowe284

Pulled the trigger on a new Tikka T3x in 6.5 CM for my wife. Couldn't stand the all black stock so I mannerized it! It looks way better in person and matches the manners midnight camo really closely. She's gonna be pumped as she loves that color scheme. Gonna let it dry good and hit it with couple coats of matte clear to help durability. The beauty of the manners style job with the Black showing through is that if it rubs or chips a little I can just sponge it a little to touch up or leave it like it is and have a little more black show through! Really happy with how it turned out.

21A7FEB7-0ED7-4DE8-BF4E-158CCF190432.jpeg
E22E3AEA-DFE4-4151-AAC4-14904ECB5F51.jpeg

Really simple. I first took off the recoil pad so as to not get paint on it. I then degreased the stock with rubbing alcohol with latex gloves on so as not to get body oil on it when cleaning. I used a 2.00 sponge from Wal mart to paint. I used Rust-Oleum spray paint. The darker gray is just a dark gray primer, the light gray is called winter gray. I sponged the dark gray on first by spraying paint on to a piece of cardboard and then blotting the sponge in it. After the dark gray dries for about 20 minutes I used a different piece of sponge and blotted on the light gray. These two colors were spot on. I could not find a light gray in matte or flat so had to use gloss. I'm going to put 3 coats of matte clear on it when totally dry in a couple days and that will take any shine out of the light gray. It went on pretty dull being sponged on instead of sprayed but still has the slightest sheen to it. If I had it to do over again, I would have tried to find a light gray primer similar to the winter gray I used as the primer is extremely flat and dries way faster than the winter gray gloss. This "line" of paint and primer I used from Rust-Oleum said it was for use on plastics (among other things). I've keyloned a few stocks before and covered them with 3 coats of clear and they paint job was very durable. Worst case with this one, a little black shows through but what the hell, its supposed to! Or, can always blot a little on to touch up. It was a fun project. Going to paint scope mañana.

Sounds pretty simple. I've always been nervous to try it. Guess worst case with that is you can always redo it if you mess it up. I'm wanting my greyboe renegade to match up with manners elite tactical gap camo. Might have to just give it a shot.

She's all put together. I ended up putting gen 2 mountain tactical bottom metal on it and also switched trigger spring for a Varmint spring from Earnie the gunsmith (trigger is very nice at 1.5 lbs now). Had a leupy VX2 4-12x40 laying around that I mounted in Talley lows. The scope was gloss but I sanded, primed and the painted flat black. Hope it shoots as good as it looks. Plan to shoot it today. Handy little rifle.

Attachments

• 6657412E-E11A-4244-B7DB-A671AE7D83FE.jpeg
    6657412E-E11A-4244-B7DB-A671AE7D83FE.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 345
Also put 3 coats of matte clear on stock. Made sure to tape up action, barrel channel and bottom metal inlet so didn't get extra thickness in there. Torqued action screws to 35 inch lbs. There is a pressure tab about 3.5 or so inches in front of action so barrel does not free float all the way to lug. Gonna shoot it in place to begin with and evaluate results. If I need to I will dremmel it out and float all the way back to lug.

Cleaned barrel and chamber to start with. Shot 3 to bore sight at 25 yds. Cleaned after bore sighting. Moved to 100 yds. First 2 with my pet load. Gonna let barrel cool and shoot 3rd.

Attachments

• FF930940-3DAB-400D-9C8D-6E65954EA37B.jpeg
    FF930940-3DAB-400D-9C8D-6E65954EA37B.jpeg
    253.5 KB · Views: 128
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.