New rifle for the girlfriend

YOSEPPY

My girlfriend has decided she wants to get in to shooting that way she can spend extra time with, so I've put my builds on hold to get her started... Right now I've narrowed it down to 3 possible rounds (open to others still) I'm looking at in order of most interested 6.5x47 lapua 6.5 creedmoore an the .280 ai. Now he tricky part I realize that two of these are short actions. My question is can I use a long action for these two rounds. I have a save 110 lying around. If not then the .280 it is (unless someone has a better idea). Thank you as alway. Oh I do reload so wild cats wouldn't be out of the question

if you can get the mag box for 270 ect type cartridge it will likely work. feeding wont be amazing as they might pop out before being supported by the chamber. i have a .223 in a 110. will feed from the left side but not the right. just try it. worse case it becomes single shot. though thats annoying. best to have the gf new rifle function perfectly

How is she with recoil? The answer to this question would sway me in my decision for a cartridge that would be not only comfortable but manageable for her, and yes you could brake it. I built my wife a .30-06, without a brake at first. She would shoot 5 rounds and want to put it up because of the recoil being too much. I put a brake on it and off the bench her 5 shoot grouping was down too .5"-1". She could and did shoot 50 rounds out of it in a range session, wondering why I did not bring her more. :)gun gun).

My girlfriend has decided she wants to get in to shooting that way she can spend extra time with, so I've put my builds on hold to get her started... Right now I've narrowed it down to 3 possible rounds (open to others still) I'm looking at in order of most interested 6.5x47 lapua 6.5 creedmoore an the .280 ai. Now he tricky part I realize that two of these are short actions. My question is can I use a long action for these two rounds. I have a save 110 lying around. If not then the .280 it is (unless someone has a better idea). Thank you as alway. Oh I do reload so wild cats wouldn't be out of the question

My wife loves to shoot but not hunt, I got her a RRA in .223 Wylde for Christmas a couple of years ago and she absolutely loves it. It's cheap to shoot too!

There's something sexy about a lady and her AR. :):D:rolleyes::cool:gun)

You could go .260 or .260AI and have lots of room for seating...or if you wanted to fill the mag and have a flat shooter with moderate recoil then go with 6.5-06AI. I think 120-130 gr would have very manageable recoil in the .260 or AI, as well as being very easy to find an accurate load for, so load development should be minimal. Just my 2 pennies.

I took my savage 25-06 and made it into a 6.5x284 for my son , lots of room leftover in the magazine , not much recoil at all so he doesnt start flinching and it works for everything. He is really comfortable shooting that thing and it is a tack driver so he is a better shot. shoots 130 gr bergers at 2925 fps -nice mellow round !

Thank you everyone for the input. I like the idea of the 6.5x284 can't believe I didn't think of it. What ever I get I'll put a break on it for sure.

I'd do a 260 with a muzzle brake. The long action will allow you to seat 140's out long and not worry about fitting a mag box. Barrel life will be excellent as well. I did the same thing with a 7-08 to shoot the 168's. I never grab anything else when I go hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.