New Rifle

gol1

I am considering building a new long range rifle in 338 lapua mag.and thinking about one of this two actions Sako 995 or cz 550 magnum My questions are which one will be better in accuray and rigidity and which one will fit for large volume shooting meaning at least 50 rounds a week with proper cleaning and maintenence If somebody has some experiance with this actions I would like to here about it since I think the peopple in this forum are highly experianced

Thanks
Gol

I would not consider "building" a rifle for the 338 on either one.

both could and normally need considerably tweaking and truing. By you add that gunsmith cost to the action, you can buy a Lawton 8000 or Stiller 338 Tactical and have a heck of a lot better gun. both are top of the line actions out of the box and worth what you paid when you leave the gunsmiths shop. the sako and CZ will be worth 50% and might be as good but not necesarily.

if you are going to build a rifle, buy the action, stock and barrel and go from there. do not buy a rifle and then try to rebuild it IMO.

BH

Dear BountyHunter

Thanks for your replay
At the moment I live in europe austria and cant get one of your proposed actions although I would like One of surgeon actions I realy liked them But here I can get the sako 995 also known as trgs or cz or one of the modern mauser clones btw the sako trgs 995 was also offered in 338 lapua from the factory and considered here a really strong action

Thanks
Gol1

Not sure what one of the custom actions sells for, but I have been impressed by the quaility and tolerances in the MK V Weatherby actions. You can usually find a donor rifle for less than $800 if you look. They have a magazine box that avg's 3.8" inside length, and lends itself to shaping the lips for good feeding instead of having to work the receiver rails. They have a good trigger design that can be tuned to a clean, crisp let-off. Also, the bolt faces are a breeze to open up. Be sure they are the 9 lug, though.
H.P. White Laboratories pressure tested them several years ago and I believe that they finally quit when brass extruded into the locking lugs and the bolt could not be hammered open. Don't quote me on that, but I do remember that they were incredibly strong.

Custom stocks are available for these actions. I like Accurate Innovations stocks in wood or laminate. They are available with up to Shilen #8 taper barrel channels. They all come with an aluminum chassis and pillar blocks installed.

Whatever you decide, enjoy; Tom

Last edited:
I would build on the Sako action , I like them both but I feel the Sako is the better platform , those things are built like a tank. And their are several good stocks out their that will fit your needs with that action

Have you priced just getting a trg-42 from Sako? I know that rifle is a tack driver right from the shop.

new TRG-42

The wait for a new TRG-42 will be approx. 10 ,month and the price for the basic green stock modell will be 2800 EURO and I hate the sako TRG-42 stock so I have to switch to a Mcmillan any way

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.