My New LR Deer Rifle

BRIT

Hi All,
Here is a pic of my new LR deer rifle.

I have always had a fondness for the "06" case and have admired Ackleys designs, so a natural mariage of the two came up with this, my new stick.

All work carried out by Viper Engineering.
Built on a trued left hand Remmy long action with a PTG .300" recoil lug, the barrel is a Sendero contour stainless fluted item from Lilja chambered in 30-06 AI and throated for 180grn Accubonds.

The muzzle brake is an in-house design made by the smiths Viper Engineering.
Viper also worked over the standard trigger to give a crisp 24oz let off and the whole lot is skim bedded into a re-worked, right to left hand HS Precision varmint stock.
The stock was smoothed and primed and then given immersion printed with a black carbon fibre weave coating. (click on the pic and you can seeit in more detail)
This was top coated with satin finish automotive clear.
holding the Leupold VXIII 8.5-25x50 LRT is a set of MK4 Leupold low rings atop a farrel 20minute base.

Fireforming loads consisted of 47grns Vit 140 driving 180 SMK's sparked off by fed 210m primers out of lapua brass.

Thanks for looking.

Nick.

might want to move your thread to general discussion or reviews, not really gunsmith related, you will get more views.

Looks like a great rig! I also have built a 30-06 AI, Rem 700 action blueprinted, Shilen select match #5 contour 1-13 twist 26", H-S sporter stock , 1 1/2 lb. trigger,Leupold 3.5-10 scope. Exellent hunting rifle! Consistently shooting 5 shot 1/2 groups at 100 yds. Have taken numerous deer at ranges to 200yds. Several woodchucks beyond 400yds, personal best is a woodchuck , one shot at 578yds standing over a vehicle on a rest. It's an awesome round . I load mine with 57grs. VIT 160 , 210 Fed primer, and 165gr/ 168gr bullet. Also shoots 150gr barnes X great! Great Gun.. Good Luck...and bag a big one.... JOE

Hi Nick gun looks great, I am going to build one my self. Brit.
icon14.gif

HI ALL

Thanks for the kind words gents, very much appreciated. Sorry it took so long to reply, i don`t get to the Computer as often as i would like. Any Ackley load Data would be gratefully received.

NICK.

Nick,

Nice looking stick!

The stock finish is very nice. Also, a great choice of cartridges.

Oh, BTW, are all of those plants in the pic legal.:D

Brit; If P. O. Ackley's volume II Handbook for Shooters & Reloaders is available to you, he has about 2 full pages of loads for the 30-06 Improved (Ackley). From 100 gr - 180 gr,(bullets are only listed by weight, no brands or types) all of them using older powders. I have the 19th printing, 1998, by Plaza Publishing, 1848 West 2300 South, Salt Lake City, Utah. If you can, get volume I and II. They are worth it.

If that doesn't work, P/M me and I'll attempt to email the loads to you, or just regular mail. If in my dotage, I don't notice I've got a P/M, jog me on this forum. I always check it.

Very fine rifle/scope combo, Tom

HI GRIZZ

Let`s hope we can introduce my new Ackley to a Stag when we are next up in Perthshire.Looking forward to you giggling if it puts one down like my 6.5x284 did. Pleased you have joined the site mate, your knowledge will be a great addition to an already excellent Forum.:)

NICK.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts