Packing for a hunting trip as an elderly

We lost a good friend from Louisiana that I gre up with because he refused to have that done to him.He said,"Im not built that way,no one is going to do that to me".His passing was painfull and his family is forever cursed at seeing him die that way.
GET IT DONE GUYS!No one likes that examination but for your family's sake,get it done and live to hunt and fish and enjoy life.
Medicare only covers a "visit" that is "and how are we today?". Talk about BS. I pay for full physical every year. Bloodwork etc. its worth every penny to me and my wife. Catch things before they become a problem.

The flowers would cut into his fees. Just enjoy the relief!
I was telling the guys on my watch forum that he wears a vintage Rolex Submariner. I was lucky the last time and he didn't give me the digital scan but joked about how it would have been nice if that Rolex got stuck up there and I could sell it on the secondary market when I got home!

Use to be when packing for a hunting trip I focused on all items for the hunt such as gear, clothing, rifle, ammo and etc.. Now days the first things are Icy Hot pads, medication for current health issues, medication in the event something happens, Preparation H, athletic tape for the bad ankle/foot, urinal for the long drive, and the list goes on. Then it's back to thinking about the hunting gear. Oh well, I am still able to do it.

Anything I am missing? Please add to the list. For fun and laughs.
Don't forget the snake bit medication, and a nice easy chair.
Talking about getting older. I just had a pacemaker placed in me. It's not that big of a deal unless you are left handed, like me. Another one of those deals. I wish I had. Being left handed, and using my left shoulder to place the butt or either my rifle or shotgun there a problem with the location the devise. I am going to have to be very careful in placing my rifle butt to shoot I did talk about it with my doctor, but I felt that where he generally places them. Hard to brake old habits.
I always carried my cell phone in my tee shirt which is on the left too. Can't do that anymore. Have to be careful about arcwelding too. Being under high powder lines can cause problems too.
The golden years!

I'm going to do a little bragging here about my health. I have had a finger reattached and a wrist rebuilt, but they operate pretty good. Last count was 37 fractures. My last physical was passed with flying colors. That was in in 1980 when getting discharged from the military. I have been told it is about time for a complete physical again soon.
I just had a complete physical also last week. Complete blood test 2 pages long. Everything was pretty good. Only thing that wasn't real good was blood oxygen. I told him I know I have apnea. He said that's why. Now I have to go through the CPAP machine thing. 🙄 I just turned 65.

Last edited:
I just had a complete physical also last week. Complete blood test 2 pages long. Everything was pretty good. Only thing that wasn't real good was blood oxygen. I told him I know I have apnea. He said that's why. Now I have to go through the CPAC machine thing. 🙄 I just turned 65.
I started cpap therapy at 62.Stay on it.

I started cpap therapy at 62.Stay on it.
Thank you ! I've had 3 friends recently start it also. They all say they feel so much better in the morning. I'm not looking forward to the cost. This and new hearing aids hit me at same time. I'm only on S.S. and Medicare now. I distroyed my hearing after 19. Years old.

Last edited:
In just turned 74 on Sept 15th! Im fighting RA as well as high blood pressure,my 7 daily medications are as important as my boots ! I also realize I need or want more shooting practice prior to the hunt ! Lots and lots of time at the range !!! That practice helps me feel relaxed and comfortable and I think feeling confident at my age is a positive thing on the hunt !! A happy positive mental attitude!! Important to me !!