Hunting Trip Tip advise

No clue what they do. My guess, the guide is planning to work for you, do it all but squeeze the trigger. Guides get from expert to novice range of hunters. You never know, so you are prepared to do it all or nothing. Ask your guide what he expects etc. The more clear and better the plan the better the experience. Suggestion, do be humble, don't down play, be honest. I can tell you I have it go both ways and both are just as irritating. I need to know you, not what you want me to think you are. Tell me you can out ran a bear, I will likely test it, tell me you can't out run a turtle and you will likely be happy sitting a stump all day. LOL.

In all honesty, since this will be most likely the only out of state hunt I go on(at least for the near future), I really would prefer it be a successful one(tagging a deer). If that means the guide does the calling then so be it. Yes, I do have faith in my calling here in New York, but out of state...if it means not spooking deer and calling in a few appropriately sized deer then he can do it for me haha. The way this place works is there is no guarentee that your class deer will show (they are wild deer that were brought in) NOT farm raised tame deer. They do guarentee the hunt though so if you do NOT get your class deer you can come back for free at another date, but they do not refund travel expenses. my father -inlaw paid for the hunt but not the travel expenses, which cost me a good deal and couldnt afford to make another trip out there any time soon. To everyone about to make comments about this, YES i do have fun regardless of whether I get a deer or not here in New York, that being said...if you have been to NY you know that tagging a smaller 8pt is about as much as you can hope for, so this trip to Wisconsin will most likely involve me getting my biggest deer of my life, so yes I do have high hopes of actually filling my tag...but either way it will be a great memory and time with my Father-in-law.

I think you have the right mind set. Go and have fun, let the guide, guide you. There is nothing wrong with a guided hunt. It is similar to hunting with a buddy who has knowledge about the area you do not. Just go with it, have fun, use his skill and yours combined. Sounds like a great time.

3 goals:
1. Bond with the father in law, this is test, failure is not optional.
2. Have fun and keep a positive attitude about the experience.
3. Tag a good buck.

Well, I'm a big tipper if the service is outstanding. I'll also echo what BrentM says that if you have a great time and the relationship is fun, well, tip good. It also does not have to be money---I know a guide who received a new pair of Leica rangefinding binos when the client was done. In any case, the guides do depend on tips. AND do NOT forget to tip the cook. I've only been on a couple of guided hunts mainly because someone else arranged them. I prefer to do things myself so I'm only commenting because some of my friends are guides.

Randy

I wont mind giving the guide 200-300$ if I land my awesome 140-150class buck haha especially if it is a FUN time as well.

This is to everyone: I know taxidermy costs can very...but just curious what a typical shoulder mount would cost me? Also, do you typically pay it all up front or deposit/half or something like that? My guess is since this is a hunting ranch, they probably have some sort of deal with a local taxidermy guy or at least can provide some info on who to go to for taxidermy.

I have guided deer hunts in the midwest at several different places, High and low fence. Some places for a week or two because I was originally there for a film job. Guiding low fence is way harder than high fence. And the better tippers usually come from the low fence hunters. If you can look at where ever your goings web site and some put on there that guides don't take tips, these places usually take good care of there guides. outfitter in IL paid me $250 a day to guide 3-4 hunters a day, this involved me cooking breakfast, packing a lunch walking them to and from stand and handling the deer if one was taken, another just paid a hourly amount. but usually a 100-200 tip was the norm. Did have an acceptation where a father tipped me $1000, his son had a blast. I would suggest you tip for how you feel your hunt went, if you feel your guide did everything he could to help you get the deer and took care of it in the field then tip whatever you think is acceptable.

I have guided deer hunts in the midwest at several different places, High and low fence. Some places for a week or two because I was originally there for a film job. Guiding low fence is way harder than high fence. And the better tippers usually come from the low fence hunters. If you can look at where ever your goings web site and some put on there that guides don't take tips, these places usually take good care of there guides. outfitter in IL paid me $250 a day to guide 3-4 hunters a day, this involved me cooking breakfast, packing a lunch walking them to and from stand and handling the deer if one was taken, another just paid a hourly amount. but usually a 100-200 tip was the norm. Did have an acceptation where a father tipped me $1000, his son had a blast. I would suggest you tip for how you feel your hunt went, if you feel your guide did everything he could to help you get the deer and took care of it in the field then tip whatever you think is acceptable.

Thanks for the tip. I have no issue with tipping well or bad if the guide treats my hunt well or sucky. Just wasnt sure where to even start. But now I have an idea so thank you everyone!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.