need help montana hunting trip

I have a elk and deer tag for Montana had a ranch to go on but it fell through its of to public land eny ideas.
Considering some of the Elk and Deer I've seen up around Brownlee I'd stay home HA!

Contact Montana F&G. They have what is essentially a walk in hunting program on private lands. Some awesome deer along the highway from Miles City to Sheridan.

Many of the so called private ranches consist largely of BLM public land as well so get a BLM map of MT while you are at it.

Contact the FWP office in Helena and have them send you the Block Management catalog. Block Management property will definitely be your friend...if you do a little research. One hint, the further the Block Management property is from a major city like Billings, Missoula, Bozeman, or Great Falls, the better the hunting will be.

Contact the FWP office in Helena and have them send you the Block Management catalog. Block Management property will definitely be your friend...if you do a little research. One hint, the further the Block Management property is from a major city like Billings, Missoula, Bozeman, or Great Falls, the better the hunting will be.
"Block Management" that's the walk in program I was thinking of.

Nice to have a local on board!

As for the latter some of the nicest bucks I've seen in MT are on some block management property south of Miles city off of 59 (I think it's highway 59).

Yup some of it is walk in only and some you can drive in. Just depends on the landowner. Bigger critters seem to be in the walk in only areas, especially if it is a big ranch ie...5000 acres or more.

Thanks i will check that info out.

If that doesn't work out for you, the FWP in Great Falls is on my way to/from work. If you need Regions 1-5 booklet or Region 6 booklet I can get them mailed to you just PM me your mailing address. However, if you need the maps, I can only get Region 4 BMA# maps only (5 per day).

Cheers!

Ed

Sorry, hopefully i won't hijack your thread.
I live in the UK and hopefully will try for a Montana elk in the next couple of years, been to MT twice before but for the fly fishing.
Can it be done 'self guided' in your opinion?
Assuming i get a tag one day, is the tag linked to a specific area in MT or can you go anywhere on public land?
Of course just like over here once the hunt is over the hard work begins, getting the animal back to a extraction point, so i guess i have sort of answered my own question in part, it will take at least 2 people.
I would bring my 30-06, bullet weight reqd?
It will be a trip of a lifetime for me, i hunt deer in the UK but having seen some of what MT has to offer in relation to wilderness and scenary in will be an unforgetable experience.
Any advice/help would be gratefully received.
Cheers
Richard

Calling F&G today going to work on the block managment program. Trying to find a piece of ground my cousins wife can get around she had a bad accident and lost one of her legs so we need to find easy acces for her she is tough. We might have a spot to hunt deer in ekalaka then might try the Judth gap area but eny and all help would be nice thanks guys. gun)

KC 280ack, Ekalaka/Broadas is a much easier area, for the most part, to hunt for someone with limitations than the Judith area. Plus the wind literally never stops blowing in Judith Gap. I honestly do not know how anyone can stand living there.

i live out of harlowton and there are some places on f/s and block management the a disable access only you can pm me and i can give you my #to call i also have a bad disablity and have had to deal with tring to hunt. rick

I've hunted block management for 3 years for deer/antelope, it has been very successful. Elk is a lot harder, but the general permit does give you access to some areas of public land. The Bob Marshall Wilderness, for example. Hard hunting, low odds, but a solid hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.