Packing for a hunting trip as an elderly

No joke, 2016 I headed back to Pennsylvania to deer hunt with my family, first night at camp my prostate enlarged to the point I couldn't pee, 16 hours later I tapped out, I thought my bladder was about to burst, I never knew what agonizing pain was until then, I would have given my house away for any relief. Anyway, the hospital they got me to was in network so my insurance covered 80% of the bill. Back there I'm now known as the catheter king for as many times one was put up my privates and yanked out. Doesn't hurt to look ahead and see if a hospital in the area your going to hunt takes your primary insurance, otherwise you could be stuck with a hefty bill
I was hospitalized in 2020 after I hit a coyote riding my road bicycle (was going super fast downhill and two ran right out in front of me). After surgery I couldn't urinate and they told me I had to have a catheter. I protested big time, but the nurse said if I didn't get one, I could rupture my bladder - who knew?

I've been so often lately that the "Examination" is now being referred to as…."abusive violation". Lol.
We lost a good friend from Louisiana that I gre up with because he refused to have that done to him.He said,"Im not built that way,no one is going to do that to me".His passing was painfull and his family is forever cursed at seeing him die that way.
GET IT DONE GUYS!No one likes that examination but for your family's sake,get it done and live to hunt and fish and enjoy life.

Just remember to pack medications where they are easy to find. Ibuprophen has to stay in my vest pocket, because I might not get back to camp before I need another dose. When you find yourself out jogging on a hunting trip you need extra ibuprophen. I know hunting is not about jogging, but if you get your "Icy Hot" and Preparation "H" mixed your going to go jogging about 1/2 hour into the hunt.
Enlarged prostate and hemorrhoids. I've outlasted my plumbing. 😳 Sure I'm not the only one here.

Oh, forgot to add heating pad…if electricity is available.

Side note: Doctor asked me if I had heated seats in my truck? I said "yes". He said "use them on those long drives since it acts like a heating pad for those sore muscles". Who would have thought?
3 years ago I got blood clots in my left leg from driving too long and not getting out and walking around. I always drive straight thru to other states. Was making 18 hour drives to Ca. and back all the time and other states. 18 hour to Ca.. In all the years never happened before or since. Asperin helps. Great post Richard.

We hiked about 10 miles for mule deer locally last Saturday, she rolled her ankle 1.5 miles from the truck and my knee still hurts. So I would say and knee braces or similar items if you have those issues. And most importantly a In-Reach or similar device. Its was an eye opener for my upcoming elk hunt in ID. Luckily we had light packs and were done with the downhill portion.

I'm going to do a little bragging here about my health. I have had a finger reattached and a wrist rebuilt, but they operate pretty good. Last count was 37 fractures. My last physical was passed with flying colors. That was in in 1980 when getting discharged from the military. I have been told it is about time for a complete physical again soon.

Use to be when packing for a hunting trip I focused on all items for the hunt such as gear, clothing, rifle, ammo and etc.. Now days the first things are Icy Hot pads, medication for current health issues, medication in the event something happens, Preparation H, athletic tape for the bad ankle/foot, urinal for the long drive, and the list goes on. Then it's back to thinking about the hunting gear. Oh well, I am still able to do it.

Anything I am missing? Please add to the list. For fun and laughs.
All your medicine and plenty of toilet paper!!

Recent Posts