Pachmayr vs Limbsaver

memtb

I guess this is really a two-fold topic. These will pertain to a moderately heavy recoil hunting rifle.

The first being recoil pad related.... which pad offers the most felt recoil reduction yet is tough enough for the abuses a hunting rifle will endure? Speaking bluntly.....a "sissy pad" that is not a "sissy"! :)

The second being stock related.....looking to replace a Win. Model 70 (early to mid 90's) "Tupperware" stock. Would like the stock equal to or slightly lighter than factory stock. Also, "not" have hollow fore end, as I want to "full-length" bed the rifle. Must be either factory offered in shortened stock (for a woman) available, or stock design that makes cutting and applying a pad easily done!

Thanks for any and all help! And perhaps suggested financing options! :D memtb

I have both limbsaver and pachmayer pads on various magnums. Can't say that I can really tell much of a difference between the two on the shoulder - i.e. both worth well. Pachmayer feels more firm to the touch than the limbsaver but both will be a big upgrade over the stock pack in the M70.
How much are you looking to spend on a stock? Boyds are good for the money and will allow you to full length bed relatively easily. Better stocks out there if you're willing to spend a bit more.

Presently have a 20+ year old Pachmayr on the "Tupperware" stock, and are very satisfied. But, keep seeing "praises heaped" on the Limbsaver, and thought maybe a "much" better mousetrap had been invented!
On cost, I'm willing to spend much more than my wife is willing to spend "on her rifle"! So, I'm trying to ignore the costs...trying to get a great stock, at a good weight, and perhaps improve the rifle's grouping ability! I'm not looking for much....merely the "Holy Grail" of sporter/hunting rifle stocks! :) Thanks again for everyone's help! memtb

I've seen some older Pachmayr pads harden, but the Limbsaver seems to last. The Boyd's stock can be ordered with a Limbsaver for a lot less than you can buy one and they are fitted to the stock very well.

Both work. Slight preference for the limbsaver.
I'd take a boyd's/hs precision/McMillan stock with a full length bedding block. Might weigh a little more, but that's a benefit too.
If you want the same weight stock with a bedding block or forend stiffness, CF might be the only way.

Wolf76, I appreciate the answer, but am going to show my ignorance. I was following right up to the "CF" part of the answer! Help me a bit! Thanks! memtb

Thanks, Wolf76.......went right over my head! If I do this, we may be headed that direction. But, I also don't want to get the rifle too light. Of course, it's probably easier to add weight, rather than reduce! My wife is probably nearing the edge of her "recoil comfort zone" (40 ft/lbs)! memtb

The Limbsaver is a jell filled recoil pad and for the most part has to be a fit to the stock. (It can't be sanded very much to make it fit) without encroaching on the integrity of the pad.

The decelerator is designed to be sanded to fit any stock shape without altering its performance. Most custom stock makers use the Pachmyer
for this reason. some stock manufactures build there stocks to recoil pad size an do ok, but custom stock makers that build them one at a time prefer the Pachmyer pad for fit and finish.

Both types do the same in test, so it becomes just what you want on your rifle. both have a longevity limit, and depending on use and abuse
will normally last 20+ years. There have been some issues with some recoil pads getting Sticky over the years and i have just replaced them and not paid and attention to what brands they were. (I replaced them with the Pachmyer so I could make them fit better.

J E CUSTOM

SilverbulletMag, I haven't actually set a $ value, it depends upon the recommendations by all of you and the expected improvements that I can hope to see! memtb

JE Custom, Thanks! The custom fit issue was something I didn't know about the Limbsaver. As the stock will be shortened, this may be a problem. I also like the "Sporting Clays" offered by Pachmayr, for hunting use. The plastic insert on the Sporting Clays, may not really be effective, but the concept seems logical! memtb

Do not worry the Limb Savers come in different sizes. They are easy to custom fit to your stock. As has been stated either pad will work fine but the Pacmyer maybe a little less expensive.