Limbsaver Barrel De-resonator...myth?

25792SP

I saw one of the "Limbsaver Rifle Barrel De-resonaters" at a shooting supply store the other day and although I was intruiged, I thought I'd check of the forum here first to see if anyone has any experience with one of these. It looks like a small rubber dougnut - and talk about expensive!! $26.99!

The claim is that the device (when slid on to the correct position on the barrel) "calms" the harmonics.

How much "calming" effect could a little piece of rubber possibly have on a 30" heavy varmint barrel?

What do you think?...fact or fiction?

I'm no scientist, but it seemed to work on my cousins Savage. He has a 26" barrel and he found a sweet spot that tightened up his groups. It may be a mental thing, but I know as he slid it up and down the barrel to find the sweet spot, his group size definitely changed. This however is on a rifle that is shooting .75" groups consistently with hand loads. I would say it helped to shrink them to about .5".

Tank

The fact that it is made with some miracle rubber may or may not have any effect but moving any type of weight up and down the barrel does affect A: Horminics and B: POI.

They can work. They wont make a bad rifle shoot good but they can help tune a given load for a good rifle. In some cases you can run a max load in your rifle regardless of whether or not it shoots it decent and make the rifle shoot that load better by moving a weight up or down the barrel. Years ago this was done with either piano wire or lead fishing weight wrapped around the barrel in a strategic location.

I saw one of the "Limbsaver Rifle Barrel De-resonaters" at a shooting supply store the other day and although I was intruiged, I thought I'd check of the forum here first to see if anyone has any experience with one of these. It looks like a small rubber dougnut - and talk about expensive!! $26.99!

The claim is that the device (when slid on to the correct position on the barrel) "calms" the harmonics.

How much "calming" effect could a little piece of rubber possibly have on a 30" heavy varmint barrel?

What do you think?...fact or fiction?

They may work on a rifle with a buggy whip barrel (very light) but on a heavy contour I think
they would have little or no effect on accuracy.

The main problem is that they are BUTT UGLY.

J E CUSTOM

They work great for birth control, I knew a guy that had one and the ladys wouldn't even look at him.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.