Pachmayr vs Limbsaver

I've used both and prefer the limbsaver products. I really like the airtech pads if you can find one that fits.

The Limbsaver is a jell filled recoil pad and for the most part has to be a fit to the stock. (It can't be sanded very much to make it fit) without encroaching on the integrity of the pad.

upload_2019-4-2_10-1-14.png

Limbsaver has several varieties of recoil reducing pads available to the general public and the trade. The ones above are 'Grind-to-Fit' which is NOT gel-filled and can be fitted to nearly any stock within the range of the pad's design.

Here are all of the variations from Limbsaver:

https://limbsaver.com/pages/recoil-pads-showcase

Pachmayer pads have a thin aluminum plate which is located on the bottom of the pad which add rigidity to these pads. If you grind off too much you will see that plate.

I use Limbsaver pads only as they perform for my requirements. YMMV ;)

I guess this is really a two-fold topic. These will pertain to a moderately heavy recoil hunting rifle.

The first being recoil pad related.... which pad offers the most felt recoil reduction yet is tough enough for the abuses a hunting rifle will endure? Speaking bluntly.....a "sissy pad" that is not a "sissy"! :)

The second being stock related.....looking to replace a Win. Model 70 (early to mid 90's) "Tupperware" stock. Would like the stock equal to or slightly lighter than factory stock. Also, "not" have hollow fore end, as I want to "full-length" bed the rifle. Must be either factory offered in shortened stock (for a woman) available, or stock design that makes cutting and applying a pad easily done!

Thanks for any and all help! And perhaps suggested financing options! :D memtb
A while back there were many Winchester factory laminated stocks available on eBay. At the time they were cheaper than buying a Boyd's. I bought two.

Thanks sable tireur!

QUOTE: Pachmayer pads have a thin aluminum plate which is located on the bottom of the pad which add rigidity to these pads. If you grind off too much you will see that plate.

I learned this the hard way, many years ago! :mad: memtb

I prefer the Limbsaver because I found it to be softer but it does get "sticky" over time especially if you store it upright with the weight on the pad. I don't know the "why" of this but I it is a bit annoying. I haven't noticed this with the Pachmayer but it isn't quite as soft. Installing the grind to fit Limbsaver is relatively easy so if it gets too sticky after a few years it is a quick change. I have had Pachmayer's turn into hockey pucks after twenty years but they looked so good on the rifle I just left them. Buying the right size is tricky as you have a tendency to buy a size too large and not allow for cutting the stock down.

I prefer the Limbsaver because I found it to be softer but it does get "sticky" over time especially if you store it upright with the weight on the pad. I don't know the "why" of this but I it is a bit annoying. I haven't noticed this with the Pachmayer but it isn't quite as soft. Installing the grind to fit Limbsaver is relatively easy so if it gets too sticky after a few years it is a quick change. I have had Pachmayer's turn into hockey pucks after twenty years but they looked so good on the rifle I just left them. Buying the right size is tricky as you have a tendency to buy a size too large and not allow for cutting the stock down.
Different rubbers (elastomers) have different life spans. Some of the things in their makeup that make them flexible will out-gas over time. They are all a compromise between life, recoil reduction, grind-ability, and cost. You picks yur choice.

i have both. the limbsaver is much much better IMO. the downside is that its 'tackier" and may snag on your clothes. for anything over 308, its limbsaver all the way.

The Limbsaver is a jell filled recoil pad and for the most part has to be a fit to the stock. (It can't be sanded very much to make it fit) without encroaching on the integrity of the pad.

The decelerator is designed to be sanded to fit any stock shape without altering its performance. Most custom stock makers use the Pachmyer
for this reason. some stock manufactures build there stocks to recoil pad size an do ok, but custom stock makers that build them one at a time prefer the Pachmyer pad for fit and finish.

Both types do the same in test, so it becomes just what you want on your rifle. both have a longevity limit, and depending on use and abuse
will normally last 20+ years. There have been some issues with some recoil pads getting Sticky over the years and i have just replaced them and not paid and attention to what brands they were. (I replaced them with the Pachmyer so I could make them fit better.

J E CUSTOM

Limbsaver has custom fit pads for many models. Serious reduction in felt recoil and 2 min installation.

I think that I have tried them all, presently having really good results with the Kick-Eez recoild pads. I used to install the Pachmayer Decellerator, but found the Kick-Eez pads easier on the shoulder. It was supposed to be designed for shotgun shooters, but the pad certainly has tamed my Whelen, 358 Winchester and 45-70. The pad is a soft pad, it is good to have a stud that sits on the recoil pad screw to keep the pressure off the pad while it is in storage. I use a 1 inch dowel with a 10 penny nail through the middle of the dowel, it sticks up about 1 1/2 inches above the dowel and does a good job of keeping pressure off the pad.

Last edited:
The Kick Eez lads are very easy to fit, several pre fit models available and several contours depending on on your shooting style/preference. The magnum pad is outstanding. Much more durable then limbsaver. I did have an early limbsaver literally melt, it was on my truck gun so it does get hot in the desert, no such troubles with Kick Eez or Pachs.

I've got a lot of both the Limbsaver and Decellerator pads installed. Noticed here recently that a lot of the Limbsavers are starting to stick to the carpet in my gun safes, leaving a blackish residue behind after they are finally pulled free. Can't say I'm crazy about that. So far the Pachmayers haven't had this problem. Bought a used trap gun a while back with a Kick-eez on it and like it quite a bit so far. All three do a great job helping tame recoil.

I don't know much about the kick-eez, but have heard good things. I like a Limbsaver, but the Pachmayer Decelerator on my 416 Rigby also does a great job at making it comfortable to shoot. I don't think you would go wrong either way. I would be willing to try the kick-eez if it was priced lower than the Limbsaver. Just my 2¢.

Limbsavers are sticking to the carpet on the bottom of my gunsafe and leaving an annoying black sticky residue on everything they touch. Don't see this from 25-30 year old or new Pachmayer.