pac nor 300winmag

Bigeclipse

I have decided I am going to order a barrel for my semi custom savage 110 from pac nor but I am confused about what to order. I would like a stainless steel that will shoot the 180-200gr bullets so I think 1/10 twist but as far as anything else they list in their modifications section I have no idea except I dont want a muzzlebrake. This will most likely go in a bell and carlson medalist stock or maybe some sort of HS precision if i can get the extra funds for it. Thoughts or explanation on how/what to order? I am knew to this so I apologize.

Last edited:
Im just confused how their ordering works and what to order. For instance I didn't see where to enter lwngth of barrel and im honestly not sure what length I should be looking at...what about flouting? There are also other things listed on the form that I have no clue about.

Im just confused how their ordering works and what to order. For instance I didn't see where to enter lwngth of barrel and im honestly not sure what length I should be looking at...what about flouting? There are also other things listed on the form that I have no clue about.

On the order form (https://www.secure-bin.com/pac-nor.com/orderform.html), there's a block (under hats and shirts) where it asks you to specify calibers, twists, lengths, diameters for each barrel ...

Barrel fluting helps lighten the weight of the barrel by a few ounces or so while maintaining it's OD, stiffness, etc ... you can play with it here >>> http://pac-nor.com/cgi-bin/bweight.cgi

You can also contact them via e-mail or phone before you place your order. If Penny is still there, she's a doll!

On the order form (https://www.secure-bin.com/pac-nor.com/orderform.html), there's a block (under hats and shirts) where it asks you to specify calibers, twists, lengths, diameters for each barrel ...

Barrel fluting helps lighten the weight of the barrel by a few ounces or so while maintaining it's OD, stiffness, etc ... you can play with it here >>> PAC-NOR Barreling, Inc. - Barrel Contours

You can also contact them via e-mail or phone before you place your order. If Penny is still there, she's a doll!

Thanks for the tips. Do you have any recommendations on barrel length and not sure this is how you say it but barrel "shape" as in like bull barrel, heavy barrel, varmit...etc. this will be a hunting rifle that will be shot from shooting sticks, prone and maybe a stand woth shooting rail. It doesnt need to be light but it also doesnt need to be super heavy. Also consider i will most likely be going with the bell and carlson medalost or an HS precision similar to the medalist. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Thanks for the tips. Do you have any recommendations on barrel length and not sure this is how you say it but barrel "shape" as in like bull barrel, heavy barrel, varmit...etc. this will be a hunting rifle that will be shot from shooting sticks, prone and maybe a stand woth shooting rail. It doesnt need to be light but it also doesnt need to be super heavy. Also consider i will most likely be going with the bell and carlson medalost or an HS precision similar to the medalist. Any suggestions? Thanks.

The 1:10 twist is great choice and provides you more flexibility in bullets to use. As far as groove, we all have varying experiences and preferences. My latest project has a 3-groove (http://www.riflebarrels.com/faq_lilja_rifle_barrels.htm#3 Groove and 6 Groove) in .270 AI, others don't like them but I'm very please with my choice.

IIWY and doing all the work, I'd get the prefit with a #6 contour (.750" at the muzzle) finished at 26" minimum (most LR's are 26-28" range).

If you're going to have a smith do it, you need to decide if you're going to use the barrel nut; this will give you another option in shank diameter, like I did >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/my-budget-270-ai-97745/. The key is pick a reputable smith and work closely with them.

Hopefully, others will chime in to help you in your decision-making. Good luck!

The 1:10 twist is great choice and provides you more flexibility in bullets to use. As far as groove, we all have varying experiences and preferences. My latest project has a 3-groove (Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - FAQ Groove and 6 Groove) in .270 AI, others don't like them but I'm very please with my choice.

IIWY and doing all the work, I'd get the prefit with a #6 contour (.750" at the muzzle) finished at 26" minimum (most LR's are 26-28" range).

If you're going to have a smith do it, you need to decide if you're going to use the barrel nut; this will give you another option in shank diameter, like I did >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/my-budget-270-ai-97745/. The key is pick a reputable smith and work closely with them.

Where I am located (NY) gunsmiths are rare. I have yet to find a good one. Seems like most shops simply send your rifle somewhere else...ffl and shipping at your expense. I was going to buy action wrench, barrel wrench, go and no go gauge and do it myself...

If you check thier website it shows the barrel demensions they produce. I sent them an Rem 700 actiom and they did all the work. It shoots better than I can. I went with a #4 barrel. It fits in a standard HS Presicion stock. A B&C stock would take some modification. The were very easy to deal with and the barreled action was delivered when they said it would be, 6 months.

Jay

The 1:10 twist is great choice and provides you more flexibility in bullets to use. As far as groove, we all have varying experiences and preferences. My latest project has a 3-groove (Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - FAQ Groove and 6 Groove) in .270 AI, others don't like them but I'm very please with my choice.

do you know which rifle stocks would fit the #6 contour well with out modification?

do you know which rifle stocks would fit the #6 contour well with out modification?

Negative! Stocky's stocks has a pretty good stock finder system in place. When in doubt, give them a call.

I bought mine from a member that have it opened up for a .750" at the muzzle. If you get one for heavy varmint barrel, you'll end up with at least .050" clearance on each side of of the barrel on #6 pacnor contour.

Negative! Stocky's stocks has a pretty good stock finder system in place. When in doubt, give them a call.

I bought mine from a member that have it opened up for a .750" at the muzzle. If you get one for heavy varmint barrel, you'll end up with at least .050" clearance on each side of of the barrel on #6 pacnor contour.

I did the search using savage, non centerfeed, blind mag and heavy/varmint and the only things that pop up are manners and mcmillan stocks at 600+ dollars lol ouch. If I do factory sporter barrel, it then includes a bell and carlson at 250$ a bit better...just curious what contour pac nor barrel would fall under factory sporter...if you had a guess? And would there be anything wrong with factory sporter?

If you check thier website it shows the barrel demensions they produce. I sent them an Rem 700 actiom and they did all the work. It shoots better than I can. I went with a #4 barrel. It fits in a standard HS Presicion stock. A B&C stock would take some modification. The were very easy to deal with and the barreled action was delivered when they said it would be, 6 months.

Jay

hmm did you have the B&C stock on hand to check or you would told it would take modification...by modification I assume you mean grinding/sanding?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.