50-20mm Pac-Nor Ackley Improved

el matador

I was browsing the list of wildcat chambers that Pac-Nor makes and this one caught my attention. A standard 20x110mm round shoots a 1700 grain bullet at 3350 fps. I'm guessing the wildcat cartridge could launch a 750 grain A-max at 4000 fps or so? With a BC of 1.050 this would make an excellent long range setup. I'm looking for a new varmint rifle and this thing might fit the bill. And I wouldn't even need a custom reamer!

As big-n-bad as it may be, the reamer would be the least of my worries. An action to sustain a 1.16" rim and the brass would get my attention.

Only $12,000 without scope:)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170319-215537.jpg
    Screenshot_20170319-215537.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 355
There is/was something called a 60 Machine Gun, a necked down 20mm Vulcan.

The stuff I found says it's not in production because of improved aiming for the 20mm.

It seems to use the same primer as the BMG .315

20 Vulcan brass is around $5 raw.

Anyone know what kind of primers are used? My understanding is that most "canons" this size and up use electric primers. Put in a rifle and they need conversion to percussion.

Just think of the support for such a cartridge, just the targets alone would be expensive.
I think you would need two manhole covers made from AR500 plate welded together and no closer than 1000 yards. :D

New competition.... King of five miles...

Send it into orbit and see who can nail the re entry. Hahahaha

Anyone know what kind of primers are used? My understanding is that most "canons" this size and up use electric primers. Put in a rifle and they need conversion to percussion.

According to what little docs I can find, it's the same as a BMG

Hello,

20mm systems actually suck lol (Suck the life out of shooter)...now wildcatting off the 14.5mm systems is a little different :)

Here is 20mm T&E package from NSWC in 2009
http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2009/infantrysmallarms/thursdaysessionxi8503.pdf

THEIS
I'm with you here. Though all the 14.5mm cases I have been able to find were steel not brass. I'm sure it will take only a little more looking to find.

The primer size is a little different than the 20mm. .310 instead of .315. Not an issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.