270 ackley improved

JM97850

My 270 improved came back from the gunsmith a few weeks back. It is based on my old Rem 700 270 win mountain rifle, I added a trigger tech trigger, Bell and Carlson monte carlo stock, and a Pac-Nor #4 sporter 1 in 8 twist w/26.5" finished barrel length. Optics are a VV 6-24. Plans are to use it as my elk/deer gun and shoot at steel. Goal was to shoot 170 Berger's at 2950-3000 fps. I've spent the last few Sundays fire forming brass and developing loads. Was planning on starting with Retumbo, then RL 26, then H1000. To date here is where I am at with load data... All with 170 Berger EOL bullets.

1. Fireforming loads. Nosler 270 win.brass. 59 grains H1000, Winchester primer. .015 off lands. 2841fps with an ES OF 18. Pretty encouraging. 50 fire formed rounds to date.

2. Spent last Sunday working with Retumbo. Good velocity (63g = 3035fps). Ladder loads from 61-63 grains at .005-.020 off the lands. Groups and ES weren't satisfactory.
270 ai.JPG Fireform.JPG image.png
3. Yesterday. Very windy. All loads were H1000 laddered 59-61 grains at .005-.020 off the lands. Best results were 60.5 grains of H1000, Winchester primer. .012 off lands. 2982 fps with an ES of 9 (two four shot groups). Pleasantly surprised by the velocity. Last image is the group for this load data.
Berger's seem to be a bit finicky, but will continue to fine tune. Just having some fun with the gun and load development.

That is an awesome rifle. Very cool to see a bad *** 270 win, updated and improved, shooting new powders and bullets. Very capable cartridge for Elk out to pretty **** far away!

I am surprised. I didn't think the .270 AI would be able to safely push the 170 grain bullets to 3,000fps, but apparently it can! Nice. Beautiful rifle and some really good shooting on display as well. Trying to shoot tiny groups in the wind is a pain. I guess you really got a test of that 170 grain Berger's BC!

Is your gun a 'true' AI, in that you get a slight 'crush' fit when chambering a .270 Win round? Just curious.

Awesome results! I'm shooting a .284 Winchester with a long throat and using the Berger 175gr Elite Hunters in it. My groups were less than ideal with seating depths from 0.015-0.040 off. I found great accuracy and consistency with my bullets seated 0.050 off. It may be worth seating them a touch deeper to see how they do.

I am surprised. I didn't think the .270 AI would be able to safely push the 170 grain bullets to 3,000fps, but apparently it can! Nice. Beautiful rifle and some really good shooting on display as well. Trying to shoot tiny groups in the wind is a pain. I guess you really got a test of that 170 grain Berger's BC!

Is your gun a 'true' AI, in that you get a slight 'crush' fit when chambering a .270 Win round? Just curious.

It is a true AI. I was a bit surprised by the velocity with the H1000. RL 26 was going to be next. No loads showed any signs of excessive pressure. The wind was a factor-not all of the groups looked like the ones in the pictures...

It is a true ai. Crush fit is present when I shoot factory Nosler ammo (140 grain BT's) to fireform Nosler brass.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.