Ordered a New Barrel now what?

xFREDRICKx

Hi all,

I ordered a new barrel from McGowen. I also have a new oversized recoil lug with a new HS Precision stock. I am keeping the same chambering that my remington 700 had and wanted to know what the next step is. They are crowning it, threading it for my action an chambering it to fit the 7mm rem mag. Once i receive this barrel i was wondering if all i have to do is take it to a gunsmith to put it on the action (i don't have the tools needed for it)? What is the deal with the go/no go gauges? I am new to many of this. i just thought that i could receive the barrel and put it on and go shoot. I have also seen people with barrel nuts on their remington's. i thought that was a savage thing. Do i need once for my new rifle?

thanks in advance.

I just went to McGowen's website. I see they offer a barrel that can be setup with a Savage style nut so you can headspace the chamber on the rifle.

If you ordered this style barrel you should be able to install and headspace it yourself if you have the go and no go gauges AND YOU UNDERSTAND THE PROCESS. If you are going to do it you need to understand what the use of the go gauges and no go gauges are for!!!!!

In addition to these steps you will have to align the recoil lug so it would fit into the recess in the stock.

You will have to alter the stock to fit the barrel nut and the larger recoil lug. If this is type of work is foreign to you, you had best take the rifle to a gunsmith for proper headspacing and fitting the barreled action into the stock.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Some information that you could find on the net with some digging. Here is a brief description that I hope will help;

When the gunsmith chambers the barrel to fit a rifle he uses the go gauge to determine how deep to cut the chamber with the reamer. The go gauge should fit but the no go shouldn't. It is easiest way to measure the proper headspace. The go gauge is the specification of the distance from the bolt face to a reference in the chamber. With the 7 Rem mag the belt on the case is the second distance referenced. On non belted cartridges it is the distance from the bolt face to the shoulder that determines headspace.

With a McGowen pre fit barrel is described on their website:

''The second variation is what is commonly referred to as the Remage barrel. This barrel has no shoulder and is similar in design to the Savage Pre-Fit barrel. It requires a lock nut to lock the barrel down after installation on your action. It can be installed just like a Savage. Please note that a Savage Lock Nut will not work on this barrel. The Lock Nut for this type of barrel is custom made in our shop. It requires the use of a Savage wrench to install or disassemble.''

Did you read this description?
http://rifleshooter.com/2015/03/reb...out-a-lathe-mcgowen-remage-barrel-converison/

If it is beyond your skillset then go visit a gunsmith for his expertise.

With a regular barrel without the Savage style nut, after the final machining of the chamber, your gunsmith will use a barrel wrench to torque the action to the barrel. If you don't have a barrel vice and that wrench you are not going to be able to do it yourself.

Not sure what you mean: ''Do i need once for my new rifle?''

I hope this helps you understand the process.

Your best bet is to take it to a gunsmith you trust. Getting the head spacing correct is an absolute must.

While he's at it have him go ahead and bed it and float it otherwise you'll just be wasting precious time and ammo till you do.

... If it is beyond your skillset then go visit a gunsmith for his expertise.

xFrederickx, Based on the experience reflected in the original post, I'd have to say it certainly appears to be well beyond your skill set. What you need to have done here isn't difficult if you've got the proper training, equipment and experience but it is not a task for the novice. Congrats on your plans to build up your own rifle. Best of luck with the project.
As a side note, which I hope makes you feel somewhat better in making your decision, I've been shooting for nearly 65 years; I do a lot of work on my guns - but I know my limits. When I set up a new rifle I always rely on my gunsmith to marry the action to the barrel and set the head spacing. Maybe that's why I've lived this long.

Last edited:
xFrederickx, Based on the experience reflected in the original post, I'd have to say it certainly appears to be well beyond your skill set. What you need to have done here isn't difficult if you've got the proper training, equipment and experience but it is not a task for the novice. Congrats on your plans to build up your own rifle. Best of luck with the project.
As a side note, which I hope makes you feel somewhat better in making your decision, I've been shooting for nearly 65 years; I do a lot of work on my guns - but I know my limits. When I set up a new rifle I always rely on my gunsmith to marry the action to the barrel and set the head spacing. Maybe that's why I've lived this long.
Some really good advice highlighted above.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.