Oppinions on Lathe for hobby shop

cwinner

I'm interested in getting a lathe for my shop and eventually learning to chamber my own barrels and do other minor work like threading barrels and such. I've got a couple guys I know that are willing to school me and they both have older Jett 13GH lathes and each of them have chambered me some very accurate rifles! I know I'll never recoup the cost of the equipment versus paying someone to do the work for one or two barrels a year but I like fiddling and have a shop full of welding and cutting equipment so a lathe is a good addition.

I've researched and found some good reviews on the Grizzley "Gunsmith" lathes and am wondering if anyone here has any experience with these?

Right now I'm looking at either of these models:
http://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/ghb-1340a-gear-head-bench-lathe/321357A
http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-X-40-Gunsmith-s-Gearhead-Lathe/G0709

anyone know of another good model I might consider in this price range or should I just go basic with this entry level Grizzley: http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-x-36-Gunsmith-s-Lathe-with-Stand/G4003G

The JETT has the smallest spindle bore at 1 3/8 but I'm thinking it may be a better investment.

I don't mind paying a little more up front for a tool I hope to use for the next 20 years.....

opinions please!!

It really doesn't matter how many barrels you do a year it's the fact that you intend to do even one barrel. This requires a lathe of significant higher quality than if you were just making pillars or aluminum spacers for furniture. Get the heaviest one you can afford.

I've done barrel work on a 13x40 and I feel it's a perfect size for the average barrel job. Be sure to get a 4 jaw chuck and a good set of measuring instruments. Next thing you know, you'll "need" a milling machine.:D

Hi!
I went through the same tedious, but fun, process of elimination of trying to find a nice mill and lathe for my home shop that wouldn't be pure junk, but wouldn't break the bank either. I live in Washington, so have the benefit of visiting a Grizzly retaill showroom not far away, and my shooting buddy has a Grizzly 13x36 lathe.

I ented up going with the Jet GHB 1440. It lacks some of the accessories that the Grizzly "gunsmith's" lathes have - like coolant and a headstock spider, but those are easy to build yourself. What swayed me was that there's a store in Auburn, WA (Equipment Sales & Surplus) that has the exclusive sales rights to blemished/"scratch and dent" Jet machinery. I got my lathe for right about half-off, less than $3000 for a lathe that retails at close to $7000 - the backsplash was a bit twisted up in a couple of places and it was missing some paint, but a can of Krylon and a bit of sheet metal bending put it right. The mill was almost perfect - only thing wrong with it was an index mark on the head was riveted into the wrong place. Got half off on that, too.

I'd give these guys a call to see what that have in stock; they get new stuff in all the time, and you can put your name on a wait list for a particular model or tool if you'd like - and they ship all over the country. I ended up with $15K worth of machinery for about $7K total. Saved enough to put nice DROs on both units, with lots of money left over for tooling, bits, vises, etc.

The Jet lathes and Grizzly's are pretty close in specs, but from what I can see, the Jets just seem to be finished up a bit better. I'm very happy with both of my machines, which I bought last winter.

Jet machinery is made in Taiwan and most of the Grizzly items are Chinese made. Taiwan made machinery is generally regarded as being of better quality. Grizzly makes it a point to highlight their higher quality Taiwan produced machines in their catalog.

I have a 17" Grizzly drill press and I guess it's OK for the money but I have to be careful when drilling and tapping for sights, etc. I haven't screwed any jobs while using it but I am aware of it's limitations.

As for the comment on a mill, of course you really really need one.

As for a lathe, I got a PM1127vx. 1.5 bore. Probably really 40mm but it has been on the pallet since 2009.

IMO you should get the heaviest/biggest you can fit, power and afford. I'm not a 'real' gunsmith I only play one on TV.:D

If this South Bend Grizzly.com is not made in the same factory as my Tai Sun Master I'll eat my hat. It is optioned out a tad nicer than mine though. I would have bought the South Bend Version at the time if it was available. 5 years ago this one was not that I could find. I would love to own this one even though I really like my Sun Master.

sb1049.jpg

SHUN CHUAN MACHIHERY lND CO., LTD.

erl-1340.jpg

I have looked at the South Bend models you mentioned but remember this for a hobby shop and I'm not trying to make a living off this machine. I appreciate the feedback on the Grizzley machines.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.