Oppinions on Lathe for hobby shop

Just because Bailola bought SBL don't make it a SBL. He bought the trademark, certainly not the product....

I'd be looking for a vintage LeBlond Servo Shift or a Monarch 10EE myself.

Just because Bailola bought SBL don't make it a SBL. He bought the trademark, certainly not the product....

I'd be looking for a vintage LeBlond Servo Shift or a Monarch 10EE myself.

if by some slim chance you could lay your oily hands on a solid state drive 10EE (I know where to look by the way), your going to need 440 three phase electricity. The 10EE is without question the most accurate mass produced lathe ever, but folks that have them won't let them out of their sight. They're fairly easy to rebuild assuming the tail stock quill and bore are in good shape.

I've rebuilt two Leblond Regal lathes with servo shift head stocks. Can be a real task if the apron is in bad shape, but still do able. The Monarch is easier. The electronic drive can be a bear, unless it's solid state. I personally prefer the tube drive, and somebody knowing what's going on can easily rebuild it. Neither one is for the amateur to attempt rebuilding.

I like Colechesters and also think a lot of Clausings. Still both require three phase electricity.

No matter what brand name you opt for, unless it's on a solid foundation; it will never cut strait. 75% of all hand lathes (CNC as well) are never installed correctly, so the never cut strait. Always try to find a lathe with a cast iron frame. Rest gets a lot harder, but can be done
gary

The thing I learned working around machine shops is, Whatever price you pay for the lathe, It will take about the same amount of money to buy all the needed extras to put the lathe into production. 3 jaw self centering chuck, 4 jaw independent chuck, taper attachment, coolant pump system, all the tool post attachments, cutting bits, boring bar and cutters. Center finder, Micrometers, Dial indicator and magnet base, depth gages and the list goes on and on. When we installed big equipment in the shop where I worked the floor was cut out, A foot around wider than the machine base. And 2 foot or deeper with lots of metal reinforcement rod. and solid concrete. Once a lathes is leveled and set up, If a lathe settles .005 it can throw the lathe out from .0025 to 005 out of true cut. Good Lathes have V rails on the bed and for gunsmithing a big (2" or larger) center hole through the chuck, is another thing to look for. Trying to thread and chamber a barrel with a 3 finger center is not the most accurate way to go.

well I found a used machine for $600 and it had a 1.25 bore I reamer it to 1.400 and have not looked back the real cost is the tooling made my own spider and taper jig so take a look around you may find a diamond in the rough and have some cash left for tooling bob

Well I went ahead and ordered the grizzley 0709G....... It shouldbe arriving today!! I don't have access to 440v nor am I interested in building three phase converter......I'm looking to do his for fun and hope this lathe allows me to chamber a few barrels a year.

I was able to chamber my first barrel last week with some help from my friend on his lathe last week...... Pretty strait forward and quite a lot of fun at this point!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 75
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.