opinions on mountain rifle

I would agree with this. I would buy something similar to the WSM family if you want a short action or bump it up to a long-action improved like a 280 Ackley. I've never hunted bear before so I don't really have an idea how hard they are to kill but I'd want a something bigger than a short action for an animal that could turn and maul me.
Something bigger than a short action? Do you think a SA magnum is somehow inferior to the 280AI or other long action cases in the 06 family? If so, you might want to look at case dimensions and capacities of the WSM, Saum, and Sherman line. Even the PRC is 68 grains H2O capacity, which is no slouch, and very comparable to the 06 case family.

Something bigger than a short action? Do you think a SA magnum is somehow inferior to the 280AI or other long action cases in the 06 family? If so, you might want to look at case dimensions and capacities of the WSM, Saum, and Sherman line. Even the PRC is 68 grains H2O capacity, which is no slouch, and very comparable to the 06 case family.
If you reread my post that you responded to I suggested a WSM family case before a long action. Climb off your high horse sir, all I did was give a suggestion. It's not even like I claimed it as gospel truth.

I think you should buy a new rifle for safety reasons. I mean your hunting big dangerous bears right?

I'm just trying to give you an excuse to buy a new rifle.
I understand what you are saying, sort of.
I believe there is only one reason to not buy yourself a new rifle. You need to buy your wife a new one.

I think you should buy a new rifle for safety reasons. I mean your hunting big dangerous bears right?

I'm just trying to give you an excuse to buy a new rifle.
yes, the philosophy works. the "why do you need
To answer your question I'd build off of the savage without issue, IF its a SA I'd go 6.5 PRC, 6.5 saum, or 6.5 Sherman. If you want a 7mm I'd neck up the PRC, saum, or do 7 Sherman. The WSM is sweet too but the case might be a little long so you'd need to consider that unless you have a LA. If you have a long action I'd run a 284 or a 6.5-284 or a 280AI. I am very fond of my 6.5-284's.
it is a LA, ive considered 6.5-284 i just dont have a ton of reloading supplies. me and the neighbor kind of share so i stayed away from that route for now. also thought what if i switched the bolt face to .540? would i only beable to keep one round (chamber only) or would they fit in the blind mag on it? its and old (mid 90's probably) 110 action.

it is a LA, ive considered 6.5-284 i just dont have a ton of reloading supplies. me and the neighbor kind of share so i stayed away from that route for now. also thought what if i switched the bolt face to .540? would i only beable to keep one round (chamber only) or would they fit in the blind mag on it? its and old (mid 90's probably) 110 action.
The previous suggestion of 280 Ackley would be good if you didn't want to change the bolt face and factory ammo is easily available in my experience however it's a tad more expensive since you don't really reload by the sounds of it.

The previous suggestion of 280 Ackley would be good if you didn't want to change the bolt face and factory ammo is easily available in my experience however it's a tad more expensive since you don't really reload by the sounds of it.
yeah i really dont , i would like to get into it more but just never seem to find the time really. only load for my 7 mag as i use it for deer. use factory nosler out of my 6.5. ill probably opt to reload for my 28 once i get it, so i could spend some $ for the 6.5-284 dies too i suppose. ive been looking at barrels for a 6.5-284 for a while now just never pulled the trigger..

Take this with a grain of salt as I have a definite soft spot for neglected cartridges that may not be super practical... find a used short action M70 (internal mag box is something like 2.9" on those) have it re-barreled in 284win at around 20" finished length. That'd be a very handy rifle, and the case has enough capacity to push 160gr class bullets in the neighborhood of 280Rem velocities even in that shorter barrel.

ETA... this plan would work equally well on your Savage donor

On the Savage you can just change out the mag box. The feed lips are part of it, not the action like a rem700. Yours should be a stagger feed. It's a bit of a pain to get off of some of them, but still not something I'd consider difficult. Get the bolt head and mag body that matches whatever round you want to use and rebarrel and you're good to go.

You an do short action cartridges in the long action too. If it's a 308 size case get an '06 mag box, if it's a 284 or magnum diameter case get a 7rm/300wm mag box

Just as further info for you, I have spare complete bolts in 473, 540 and lapua bolt faces and a handful of barrels that I swap back and forth at will. Takes about 15-20 min after the first time lol.

The bolt face won't change how many rounds will fit the mag but the diameter will. I think that's what you meant. Mag length is fine too. Many people build on la for saums, wsm, and prc. Not an issue. I'd likely stick with a 280ai or other standard long action cartridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.