Only two custom, packable, long range hunting rifle systems would be?

I never understood this? No offense but factory ammo and long range hunting are two things that I believe shouldnt be said together. Being that this is a LR hunting site I just never understood the factory ammo availability claim. I understand there's different strokes for different folks but I'm a believer that we need to change the idea that we can just go grab a box off the shelf and go hunting LR. If I'm selecting only two CUSTOM packable 800+ yard rifles for hunting than the availability of factory ammo doesn't deserve any consideration in my camp.

7RM or 7SAUM throated for 180s at 3000+fps
8-8.5 pounds trail weight

300WM or 30Noz throated for 215s at 3000+ fps.
9.5 pounds trail weight.

I'd be happy go kill just about anything in the world with this combo.
What SD would you have to see with factory ammo to say you'd feel comfortable using it for LR hunting? Let's call LR hunting 800yds+

What SD would you have to see with factory ammo to say you'd feel comfortable using it for LR hunting? Let's call LR hunting 800yds+
The SD doesn't matter because it will not be reliable from round to round or lot to lot. Nobody is touching my long range ammunition thats being shot through a custom rifle at a live animal. No amount of hornady advertising will buy my unwavering support.

I don't think that's the point he's making. I agree with the point that I think he's making. Accuracy potential is higher for handloads, granted there is some great factory ammo out there now. I'm not sure why someone would build or have built a custom rifle and then shoot factory ammunition out of it. I'd be sure that was custom as well, why wouldn't you?

I don't think that's the point he's making. I agree with the point that I think he's making. Accuracy potential is higher for handloads, granted there is some great factory ammo out there now. I'm not sure why someone would build or have built a custom rifle and then shoot factory ammunition out of it. I'd be sure that was custom as well, why wouldn't you?
Pretty much. Accept its not accuracy potential that's higher its just accuracy. Factory ammo will have exactly that, "potential". Your custom .2-.3 minute loads ARE accurate, stable and consistent. With all due attempt we have essentially mitigated any idea of "potential" and landed on accurate. With low ES and SD every time, all the time.

Pretty much. Accept its not accuracy potential that's higher its just accuracy. Factory ammo will have exactly that, "potential". Your custom .2-.3 minute loads ARE accurate, stable and consistent. With all due attempt we have essentially mitigated any idea of "potential" and landed on accurate. With low ES and SD every time, all the time.
I agree that we have more control over hand loads. But theoretically, there is an ES and SD threshold that makes a load ethical for LR hunting purposes. To me, it doesn't make a difference if we achieve that threshold with a hand load or factory ammo.

Don't want to hijack the OP, I'm just always curious to see what someone's requirements are for LR hunting ammo

I agree that we have more control over hand loads. But theoretically, there is an ES and SD threshold that makes a load ethical for LR hunting purposes. To me, it doesn't make a difference if we achieve that threshold with a hand load or factory ammo.
Can you achieve that from lot to lot of factory ammo? I can with handloads...that's the point.

I don't know how to explain it for you to understand. We aren't talking about "more control" we are talking about ALL THE CONTROL. Only you are in control of exactly what goes into your loads, only you are in control of powder consistency from lot to lot, only you are in control of proper neck tension, only you are in control of exact seating depths. There are no theories surrounding this. There is absolutely no way you can control consistency with factory ammo. This is not an argument you will win.

I never understood this? No offense but factory ammo and long range hunting are two things that I believe shouldnt be said together. Being that this is a LR hunting site I just never understood the factory ammo availability claim. I understand there's different strokes for different folks but I'm a believer that we need to change the idea that we can just go grab a box off the shelf and go hunting LR. If I'm selecting only two CUSTOM packable 800+ yard rifles for hunting than the availability of factory ammo doesn't deserve any consideration in my camp.

7RM or 7SAUM throated for 180s at 3000+fps
8-8.5 pounds trail weight

300WM or 30Noz throated for 215s at 3000+ fps.
9.5 pounds trail weight.

I'd be happy go kill just about anything in the world with this combo.
Excellent come on to central mt and take a cow elk till the 15 th of feb but we hike a lot in these parts. I've only got access to 200,000 acres locally

Don't want to hijack the OP, I'm just always curious to see what someone's requirements are for LR hunting ammo
twt17 - I gotta agree with you on hand loads or factory, I shoot both but I do chronograph both and keep track of lot numbers on loaded. Some folks just may not have the time to hand load or the patience which can be dangerous, so what does it matter as long as I am able to make an ethical shot and I've practiced. Here in Mt we don't have a caliber restriction and I know guys who are extremely proficient kill deer with a 17 hmr

twt17 - I gotta agree with you on hand loads or factory, I shoot both but I do chronograph both and keep track of lot numbers on loaded. Some folks just may not have the time to hand load or the patience which can be dangerous, so what does it matter as long as I am able to make an ethical shot and I've practiced. Here in Mt we don't have a caliber restriction and I know guys who are extremely proficient kill deer with a 17 hmr
I will end with this, if folks don't have time or patients to load they have no business hunting at long range. I have seen the effects of these "quality" factory loads. They are unethical at best. What matters is when you start swabbing factory rounds that's are supposed to be "chronographed, same lot, quality..." and you start hitting animals in the neck or the guts and you claim it's just a bad shot. But in all reality the weakest link in your system is the thing that's actually doing the killing. As a long range HUNTING comminuty we should all strive to be better than factory ammo IMO.

Back to OP, my apologies. I just see this garbage all over the internet. LR is the new fad. Its cool to go buy a seekins and a box of hornady and start posting videos of shooting animals in the guts at 750 yards because some guy on the internet said "if you don't have enough time just shoot factory ammo"

I will end with this, if folks don't have time or patients to load they have no business hunting at long range. I have seen the effects of these "quality" factory loads. They are unethical at best. What matters is when you start swabbing factory rounds that's are supposed to be "chronographed, same lot, quality..." and you start hitting animals in the neck or the guts and you claim it's just a bad shot. But in all reality the weakest link in your system is the thing that's actually doing the killing. As a long range HUNTING comminuty we should all strive to be better than factory ammo IMO.

Back to OP, my apologies. I just see this garbage all over the internet. LR is the new fad. Its cool to go buy a seekins and a box of hornady and start posting videos of shooting animals in the guts at 750 yards because some guy on the internet said "if you don't have enough time just shoot factory ammo"
I have time patience and $ to load for precision hunting and I do so and I shoot mostly savage rifles. I'm extremely capable of 750 yard shots but I chose to not do it 99% of the time as I don't have to , real question is what's the definition of long range hunting? I shoot within limits I set for myself sometimes it's factory loads sometimes not agin what's long range is up to each individual. 200 yard gopher hunting is long range