custom long range rifle

fisherman983

does anyone have any information on the gunwerks LRH?? i would like to build a rifle of that caliber but do not know where to start? and i dont really want to spend 6k on a gun. what action should i use? barrel? length? stock? any and all info is appreciated!!

Instead of spending $6k on a rifle, spend a weekend reading this site.

You might end up spending $6k on a rifle anyway, but you will definitely know what you want before you order. There are a lot cheaper ways to get an average long range rifle like the Gunwerks LRH.

AJ

if you want to get into the LR scene, read up on this site for awhile and you'll find much more economical ways of getting your gear. You should be able to be set up with a desent rifle and optics, spotting scope, range finder.... for around 3k. shoot a bit, learn the trade, then go and drop some serious coin on what you know you want. I cant afford even close to that, so I'm putting together a factory Rem XCR that will hopefully get me hunting to 650 and on paper to 800 yards. make sure you know exactly what you want, because money is only getting harder to come by these days. The knowlege of the shooter and the way the gear is set up is equally important or more so than needing a super high end rifle, at least at the beginning. Jerry Teo has a very good article on this site "Long range rifle on a budget", I gleaned alot from that article in my attempt to put together my .338 RUM. just my rather inexperienced 2cents. If you PM me with your email I can send you a pic of my rifle and what I've done to it thus far.

Jordan

Last edited:
Gunwerks sells a very good product, The price is what it is because the guys there give each gun special attention, break-in and sight in every rifle that comes out of there. They must meet performance standards, and the ballistic turrets are already set-up for you. They also offer some very high quality custom ammo, with chambers in their guns cut with reamers designed specifically for the load and bullet. I don't know their current wait time but I'm sure they try and keep it minimal. If there is anything you learn in the custom rifle buisness, it's that component supliers can mess up the best laid plans. Some are great others make you pull hair, and I don't have much to begin with.

The component list on the rifle you mention, includes;
Stiller action
Bartlien barrels
Jewel trigger
Huskemaw optics
Stock comes from there own mold.

Sounds like a package and a half. like I said I'm a newb, I had no idea that Gunwerks packages were so nice. though if you cant afford 6k there are other ways to go. I personally dont like being confined to one load.

Jordan, It is a very specialized package, If a guy is looking for different options with components and chambers it may be more effective to go with a smith who caters to one off rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.