Only two custom, packable, long range hunting rifle systems would be?

Highcountrybucks

If you could have any two long range (800 yard effective rge) rifles systems and calibers, only two for:
1. One for anything from long distance practice, speed goats, blacktails, etc.
2. Second for long distance elk and defend yourself in grizzly country.
Your two choices would be (rifle, caliber, bullet, and scope)? Weight is always a concern.

I'm kind of surprised the first 3 replies are all choices with no factory ammo availability or impossible to find. That's always been a priority of mine to have at least one rifle I could find a box of ammo on the shelf in a pinch.

I'm putting together a similar two rifle system currently and so far have only gotten what would be #1 on your list I guess. I got a PH2 NRL edition in 6.5CM for range use, NRL Hunter matches, and medium game hunting that could also be used for elk if needed. It's got a Leica 2.5-15 with the mil tree reticle at the moment but I'll probably move it over to whatever rifle I choose for a heavier hitting rifle and get something with a little more magnification for this one.

Since you say "packable", "800 yards", and "defend yourself" I'd go with...

Seekins Havak Element in 6.5 PRC.

Seekins Havak Element in 300 PRC.

PRC ammo isn't exactly everywhere, but it should be available somewhere nearby in most places big enough to have a decent sporting goods store.

Having two identical rifles means all your practice sessions will apply to both rifles, and both calibers will have very similar drop/drift with the right bullet/load selection (e.g. 208 ELDM ≈ 2950 fps, 0.690 BC, 147 ELDM ≈ 2950 fps, 0.690 BC).

Of course you'd want to get them in different colors so as not to confuse them...;)

element_urban_shadow.jpg

element_desert_shadow.jpg

Since you say "packable", "800 yards", and "defend yourself" I'd go with...

Seekins Havak Element in 6.5 PRC.

Seekins Havak Element in 300 PRC.

PRC ammo isn't exactly everywhere, but it should be available somewhere nearby in most places big enough to have a decent sporting goods store.

Having two identical rifles means all your practice sessions will apply to both rifles, and both calibers will have very similar drop/drift with the right bullet/load selection (e.g. 208 ELDM ≈ 2950 fps, 0.690 BC, 147 ELDM ≈ 2950 fps, 0.690 BC).

Of course you'd want to get them in different colors so as not to confuse them...;)

View attachment 541785

View attachment 541786
Hard to argue against this logic.

1) Defiance Anti XM. 7Saum. HCA Carbon 18"
DA Nomad LTi, MCS PH, 147 Afterburners,
4-20+ Optic.

2) Remington 300 RUM, Sendero,
Factory bbl. DA Nomad LTi, AG Alpine,
215 Berger's, 4-20+ Optic.

**With the Potential for ADG 300 SAUM brass becoming available this will be my next project.
And yes …… "packable", "800 yards", and "defend yourself"

If you could have any two long range (800 yard effective rge) rifles systems and calibers, only two for:
1. One for anything from long distance practice, speed goats, blacktails, etc.
2. Second for long distance elk and defend yourself in grizzly country.
Your two choices would be (rifle, caliber, bullet, and scope)? Weight is always a concern.
1-Browning X Bolt Speed, 308 cal, 180AB, VX6 3-18, 9lb 11oz, 2 - Savage UL, 284 Cal, 175ABLR, VX5 3-15. 8lb 5 oz