only high dollar optics are quality???

I purchased a Vortex PST after hearing all the rage about them (1/3 the price of a nightforce). Pull it out of the box and there's particles in the reticule??? Did QA fail to look through it before putting it in the box? Needless to say it was returned for a refund. Was told by mulitple people just send it back they will send you a new one under warranty. My thoughts on the subject is I shouldn't have to send a BRAND NEW scope back for warranty work.

Nightforces do have a habit of multiplying after ending up with one:)

Leupold Customer service to me has always been top notch though...

Thats how the vipers i seen were, one didnt track and one had a bad reticle, I might try the sightron s-iii moa2 but i am very hesitant after some of the reviews i read

Thats how the vipers i seen were, one didnt track and one had a bad reticle, I might try the sightron s-iii moa2 but i am very hesitant after some of the reviews i read

Pony up for a older nightforce in the 12-1300 range or buy new if you can. Trying to save money on glass just doesn't work. Everytime I have tried it it just comes around to bite me in the rear.

Some of us have bad luck and some of us also have a part in bad luck. Sometimes it's hard to figure out. I take a case by case approach. It's important to follow directions and be fair, that being said, some lemons are out there too. The caliber you are subjecting the scope to is a major factor. Very few scopes can take the beating of a 50 BMG, expect some aspect of the scope to degenerate, I don't think the heavy loaded magnums are far behind either. It's doubtful you'll get a failure on a 22lr. Food for thought... All that being said manufacturers have to fix it with do consideration in the first year or so or say, X number of rounds. CONVERSE with the manufacturers, quality is declining because of the Asian influence in everything in MY OPINION. That is probably the biggest problem we have in every industry today. Standards are declining across the board. Service departments generally STINK. Soon you will get service from a call center in India on our scopes!

Bushnell has lost another customer, Vortex has lost a customer, nikon has lost a customer and leupold has lost a customer. I am pretty sure it is cheaper just to pony up and buy a nightforce. Bushnell repaired a trs-1 and sent it back only for me to get it mounted and have it fail in less than 50rds, i sent it back in and they say warranty void because it has ring marks, i looked it over before i sent it in and didnt notice ring marks. The other thing was it had a small rub mark on the top turret where it rubbed on my spotting scope mount but not bad, scope tracked good but side focus would lift reticle 20moa just from focus no adj.First Vortex viper pst didnt track, second didnt get mounted because the reticle had particles floating around on the glass,im done with that bs but got a refund, Nikon binocs are good for a season and then junk after that, spotting scope is pretty good for the money. Leupold in a cheap vx2 4-12-40 still 400 plus dollars is very clear, but the power adjustment almost needs channel locks. I have mechanic hands, cant seem to even get acknowledged by customer service, they say yes i will get back to you and then weeks go by with nothing. Does anyone make a scope that is plug and play instead of lets see whos weekend we can crash. Yes I am ordering a nightforce with zero stop but i have to sell a kid first.

You need to rub yourself in four leaf clovers and rabbits feet. Don't walk under any ladders and watch out for black cats.

Leupold in a cheap vx2 4-12-40 still 400 plus dollars is very clear, but the power adjustment almost needs channel locks. I have mechanic hands, cant seem to even get acknowledged by customer service, they say yes i will get back to you and then weeks go by with nothing.

Same thing here - if you send it back they will change the O-ring that provides the friction for the power adjustment. It made a big difference with mine.

What does hs stand for on the Nightforce scopes. Must say a 5.5-22X50 is staring to interest me. Many thanks.

HS is for Highspeed turrent. (Instead of 10 MOA per turn its 20 MOA) or (Mil its 10 Mil per turn vs only 5 for the non hs)

ZS is for the Zerostop.

Many thanks for letting me know what hs means.

What kind of set up do you generally order with a scope such as the 5.5-22x50. I would want to initially put it on a 243 heavier barrel varmint but I hope it will end up on longer range rifle. I was thinking MOAR reticle. I have been using a Leupold VX-3 on a field 223 for woodchucks, simple fine crosshairs and I just hold over a bit when necessary. Game will originally be NJ woodchucks but I hope to move out west in the next year.

You won't regret the night force. I've had the TRS-1, Viper PST, and now an HS NXS Nightforce. The clarity is amazing and the first time you get behind it you love how well defined everything is. Color is true and looks great. I never had any issues the the TRS-1 it still sits on my 260REM and works like a champ. Gets a little blurry at the top end but for the money is nice. The PST had issues with junk on the glass but they fixed it and did so quickly. It sits on a 300WSM and does the job. The NXS does have an advantage over the PST in clarity for sure. I'm afraid it may also multiply one of these days and get me is some really big trouble with the wife. gun)

I only own 1 SIII and have never had any problems. It tracks well and is extremely close to true MOA adjustments.
It will be hard to find better glass in the price range.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.