One Gun?

Get the best glass you can afford!

Unless you got a Sako TRG, you'll probably not want a tank of a scope (like a Bushnell DMR for example)

Nightforce NXS is a decent starting point,

The 'compact' 2-10x42 at 21oz will get you started, but you may want more magnification down the road.

Could probably find an older 5.5-22x50 on the classifieds, and sell it for what you paid once you figure out what you like.

So much of it comes down to personal preference...

The NX8's are pretty 'hot' right now - 2.5-20x50 is cool because they are available with FFP reticles (which you will definitely want to try at some point).

I like the Vortex Razor LHT when it comes to form/function/features and price.

Top tier examples include;
Tangent Theta TT315M
Schmidt and Bender 3-20 ultrashort
Zero Compromise 4-20
March 4.5-28

Edited to add; maybe start a new thread, seems like most are still responding to the original post 🤣

Last edited:
In my opinion like you've been told before in the post 30:06 is great and you can load some heavies in it or light. That being said for me the best all around caliber would be the 300 win mag. You can load lightweight projectiles to heavyweights. Slow your speeds down to 308 and 30-06 still be able to bring your speed back up for long shots that still produced the energy. If looking at heavy weight bullets make sure your barrel twist will work

If you don't fill that room, they will move back in with a spouse and maybe kids.

What ya gotta do when that kid moves out is to first find yourself a good carpenter. Then…have the carpenter put a skylight in that room. Then….you find a good cement company that has a cement pump system. Have that company come out to your house, open that skylight up and fill that room full of concrete and close that skylight up for one last time!!!! No matter what they'll come back otherwise!!!'n

What ya gotta do when that kid moves out is to first find yourself a good carpenter. Then…have the carpenter put a skylight in that room. Then….you find a good cement company that has a cement pump system. Have that company come out to your house, open that skylight up and fill that room full of concrete and close that skylight up for one last time!!!! No matter what they'll come back otherwise!!!'n
I took over one bedroom with a reloading/ gun room. Wife took over a bedroom with sewing/ library. They took over my downstairs bedroom. I am afraid if I filled that room with concrete, they would sleep under my bed.

I always have a one gun solution, it just changes every year or two but it is fun to just focus on one and perfection it.
The ammo on the shelves in our local stores favor a 300 PRC by so far a margin you can't even compare. There is some other magnums but very little and obscure junk I wouldn't consider hunting with. I haven't been able to find 338 Win for two years so for around here that would be out. The 6.5 PRC is another one with a pile of ammo year around on shelves with good bullet options.
Honestly if you looked at local stores here you would think the win mags are dead, you will simply struggle if you don't reload. Personally I see the 300 PRC as the 300 win perfected!!