On the fence

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Ajwatts88, May 14, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Ajwatts88

Ajwatts88 New Member

Hey guys. Just joined and figured I’d ask y’alls opinions. Fella I know is letting go of a Remington 700 sps stainless chambered in 300wsm. It’s in great shape. Has a DNZ one piece mount hold a diamond back 4-12x40. Asking $650. I’m on the fence about it. Sound reasonable?

2. jasent

jasent Well-Known Member

Yes

raider1v1 and david laroche like this.
  3. 26Reload

26Reload Well-Known Member

ABSOLUTELY NOT......whats his number...i will belittle him for asking too much.......lol........

Salmonchaser, memtb and the hunter like this.
  4. FIGJAM

FIGJAM Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Thats a good deal man.

5. Dosh

Dosh Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great deal.

6. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

Unless he has 3000 rounds through it. But I doubt that. I have a 300 WSM and like it a lot. Easy to load for. Stainless steel is a very nice plus.

the hunter and Dosh like this.
  7. LVJ76

LVJ76 Well-Known Member

That is a really good deal, dont pass it up

8. cross

cross Well-Known Member

How does it shoot? One of the benefits of buying from an owner is that they can provide you with some kind of idea of how it performs. If it shoots close to MOA it might be a good deal if it shoots 3 MOA maybe not.

memtb likes this.
  9. Buano

Buano Well-Known Member

While the price seems reasonable, I will add one caveat: I have owned dozens of rifles and shot many more from .22 through .50 cal. Of all the rifles I've had the pleasure or displeasure of firing, the least comfortable to shoot was a Remington 700 sps stainless chambered in 270wsm I picked up used, in as-new condition, FOR A GREAT PRICE. The combination of weight, stock design, and 100 other factors made the felt recoil much greater than my .375 mag. It will get a brake installed in the near future.

10. memtb

memtb Well-Known Member

I’m not very familiar with rifle prices these days, but, if others think it’s a deal....”jump on it”! If you don’t like it, unload it. It’s easier to get rid of than to purchase......once sold to someone else!

Several years ago, I picked up a 30-06 so cheap, that I couldn’t pass it up! We didn’t need another “small-bore” rifle, as we’ve got varmint rifles ;) ....but, it’s there, if/when we need it! memtb

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  11. Jon Bischof

Jon Bischof Active Member

Are you familiar with the 700? If you are a Remington 700 fan, I won't try to disuade you, but if you have never had one or don't know much about them; there are a lot of other (and I think better) options out there than to buy someone's old Remington 700 that they don't want to keep. Like the others said above, if it shoot great, then maybe you want it, but if not, you might be better off in the long run spending that money on a rifle that will give you better accuracy.

12. the hunter

the hunter Well-Known Member

I need his number to.:D

13. azsugarbear

azsugarbear Well-Known Member

Reread the post from cross above. If it won't hold MOA, then it is not a good deal. I have had mixed luck (at best) with the low end SPS rifles from Remington.

14. hthunter

hthunter Member

My Remington 700SPS 300 WSM shoots good (1-1.5 MOA) after Timney trigger and grayboe stock