On the fence

Ajwatts88

Hey guys. Just joined and figured I'd ask y'alls opinions. Fella I know is letting go of a Remington 700 sps stainless chambered in 300wsm. It's in great shape. Has a DNZ one piece mount hold a diamond back 4-12x40. Asking $650. I'm on the fence about it. Sound reasonable?

How does it shoot? One of the benefits of buying from an owner is that they can provide you with some kind of idea of how it performs. If it shoots close to MOA it might be a good deal if it shoots 3 MOA maybe not.

While the price seems reasonable, I will add one caveat: I have owned dozens of rifles and shot many more from .22 through .50 cal. Of all the rifles I've had the pleasure or displeasure of firing, the least comfortable to shoot was a Remington 700 sps stainless chambered in 270wsm I picked up used, in as-new condition, FOR A GREAT PRICE. The combination of weight, stock design, and 100 other factors made the felt recoil much greater than my .375 mag. It will get a brake installed in the near future.

I'm not very familiar with rifle prices these days, but, if others think it's a deal...."jump on it"! If you don't like it, unload it. It's easier to get rid of than to purchase......once sold to someone else!

Several years ago, I picked up a 30-06 so cheap, that I couldn't pass it up! We didn't need another "small-bore" rifle, as we've got varmint rifles ;) ....but, it's there, if/when we need it! memtb

Last edited:
Are you familiar with the 700? If you are a Remington 700 fan, I won't try to disuade you, but if you have never had one or don't know much about them; there are a lot of other (and I think better) options out there than to buy someone's old Remington 700 that they don't want to keep. Like the others said above, if it shoot great, then maybe you want it, but if not, you might be better off in the long run spending that money on a rifle that will give you better accuracy.

Reread the post from cross above. If it won't hold MOA, then it is not a good deal. I have had mixed luck (at best) with the low end SPS rifles from Remington.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.