Notes on the Centenerian

As for the definition, that differs from person to person. Most consider 500+ to be long range.
Ok well you seemed rather addiment in your quote of his post and he mentioned 1500 yds in that quote which it seemed like you had a longer range in mind. So I was just curious if I had to leave the "long Range Hunting Forum" because I haven't produced a shot over 1500yds, since my best kill shot was only 650yds, and my very best shot was an arrow @ 200yds.

Top 3 rifle die sets being sold most years are 1. 223, 2. 308, 3. 30-06, that says it all.

In an attempt to quell some of the misinformation...;)

Please remember that since sporting rifles have been manufactured for the general public, the .270 Win. and the .30-06 Springfield have been chambered in nearly every model by every manufacturer, foreign and domestic. That amounts to millions because the manufacturers still follow the same procedures. Note also that the 3 you name are military cartridges which fill a niche with surplus ammunition and component availability (cheap), making them more desirable. ;)

A similar statement is often touted by benchrest followers who like to state that the 6PPC cartridge is THE winningest cartridge ever in the history of point blank (100, 200, 300 yd) benchrest competitions. Pulling the numbers together for a quick overview, every match since 1975 has featured nearly every rifle firing the 6PPC cartridge. Every rifle, every match for 44 years is chambered in the 6PPC. Yep, they certainly can make that statement since no other cartridge is ever fired in those matches and it then by correlation wins every match. :eek::D

Wait for what? You to actually provide something to this forum other than passive/aggressive smartass remarks and a gif of a gazelle eating popcorn? Cause I'm still waiting for that, too...

The last time I called you out directly , I was accused of targetting you. You were doing so great, I did not have to contribute. Besides, the 1st page pretty much covered it. BTW, the popcorn GIF has 51 likes, that's my contribution to the entertainment part. :cool:

The last time I called you out directly , I was accused of targetting you. You were doing so great, I did not have to contribute. Besides, the 1st page pretty much covered it. BTW, the popcorn GIF has 51 likes, that's my contribution to the entertainment part. :cool:
I try not to target anyone, or even be rude anyone (although sometimes comments get taken out of context with text-only conversations), but with the constant bombardment attempts to delegitimize me, coming from multiple fronts, you just have to swing back every once in a while.

I must admit, I do like the gazelle gif.

M
Ok well you seemed rather addiment in your quote of his post and he mentioned 1500 yds in that quote which it seemed like you had a longer range in mind. So I was just curious if I had to leave the "long Range Hunting Forum" because I haven't produced a shot over 1500yds, since my best kill shot was only 650yds, and my very best shot was an arrow @ 200yds.
Those were 2 different posts. I stated the .308 Win could shoot 1500 with the right bullets. And it can. I also stated (in a separate post) that this is a LRH forum, and that many people on here shoot game much further than 500-600 yards. It had nothing to do with a ****ing contest over who has done what.

I try not to target anyone, or even be rude anyone (although sometimes comments get taken out of context with text-only conversations), but with the constant bombardment attempts to delegitimize me, coming from multiple fronts, you just have to swing back every once in a while.

I must admit, I do like the gazelle gif.

Sorry, I cannot help you there. "IF" you don't give any reason to, they won't ... it's really that simple.

M

Those were 2 different posts. I stated the .308 Win could shoot 1500 with the right bullets. And it can. I also stated (in a separate post) that this is a LRH forum, and that many people on here shoot game much further than 500-600 yards. It had nothing to do with a ****ing contest over who has done what.
Sir if you recheck your post #148 greenjc's quote mentions the yardage and you the quote I used.

You realize this is a LONG RANGE HUNTING forum, right? It's not just a hunting forum...
Yes, I understand that. I have a military backgroieund, specifically infantry. I retired after 20 years of going to places for Uncle Sam and killing people that he said I should. I have worked with Army, Special Forces and some Delta and Marine Recon snipers. My youngest brother was a SF trained sniper. I started shooting in West Texas at the age of 12, and have continued until now. I still shoot prarie dogs at distances out to 500 yards with a 25-06 or a 6mm Remington. I regularly shoot steel 18 inch targets out to 600 yards, which is as far as the range I shoot on will allow. (They're talking about expanding to 1,000 yards) I shoot at this range with a Remington 700 heavy barrel .308, both Remington 300 winmags, both 30-06's and my 35 Whelen. I use Shepherd scopes on most of these rifles, and my buddy George works as a spotter for me in high wind conditions. I wouldn't take a shot past maybe 700 yards at game with any of these rifles, simply because of the possibility of wounding instead of killing my target. Have I taken shots longer that that? Yes, but not at big game.
As to a definition of long range, its going to be different for every hunter. I would say it is the farthest distance that an individual hunter and rifle combination is capable of hitting and killing his game animal cleanly. I have a friend in Kansas (retired Army) who wouldn't shoot past 150 yards at deer with his 30-06, and never took a running shot until he borrowed my 1903A3 and killed a doe across a wheatfield at a measured 305 yards with a 165 grain Hornaday bullet going about 2850fps at the muzzle. It was a perfect heart/lung shot and dropped the deer on the spot. The next year, he borrowed my Ruger M77MKII with Shepherd P2 scope in 30-06 and killed a deer at 450 yards on Fort Riley. the bullet used was a Sierra Gameking 180 grain at a chronographed 2680fps. The exit wound was about the size of a 50 cent piece. That's longrange for Gene. Now, the longest shot with the .308/7.62X51 was done in Faluja at 1,380 yards, and the sniper who made the shot was just trying to mess up the Iraqi sniper's aim. He didn't expect to hit, due to the limitations of the round he was using. As a highly experienced sniper, he considered it a very lucky shot. The snipers who make these shots beyond 1200 meters are extremely experienced, highly trained, and have ballistic calculators and range finders that are far more accurate and powerful than what is available on the civilian market, and they still have to take more than one shot to hit. And wounding at 1500 yards with anything less than a .338 caliber bullet (and a heavy one, at that) is a great way to lose game. Penetration suffers, the wound channel is only the size of the caliber, and the hit has to hit something vital to get a kill that isn't delayed by minutes to hours.
As to me mentioning the 45-70, and its various similar cartridges, up until Carlos Hathcock, the longest recorded shot in combat was made by Billy Dixon at Adobe Walls, Texas. By the way, I've been to Adobe Walls three times, just to stop at Billy's grave and look at the terrain where he made that shot. It was made with a 50-90 Sharps, probably loaded with a 500 grain bullet and about 110 grains of black powder, and it was 1,580 yards. He killed one of Quana Parker's sub-chiefs. The shot was measured by the Army Corps of Engineers. Billy Dixon was one of about 8 civilians ever awarded the Medal of Honor, and it was for his accurate fire at the Buffalo Wallow fight, later that year. I know the shot was made and I know it was made at that distance, and I know it killed the sub-chief because I knew Deayne Parker, who was Quana's grandson. Just because a rifle will reach 1500 yards doesn't mean you should try to kill game at that distance with it. You have to take into account the limitations of the round, terrain, conditions and your own skill. I'm good for about 800 yards, right now, but my .300 winmag is only good as far as the bullet will perform consistently, which is about 450 yards on Elk. Sorry.

We have a guy in here who was a marine sniper that is shooting the.308 Win over a mile...I believe he's even done transonic testing at 2000...

Last edited:
I was beside a shooter today at the range that has a Cabelas Savage 12FV (final cost $186.00 after rebates) .308 with a $1800.00 Leopold scope shooting factory class 1000 yard matches and winning. 1 6.5 Creedmoor Savage 110 factory, 1 6.5X47 Lapua Custom, 1 6.5X284 Custom were also on the line shooting 1000 yards and hitting the paper targets. These are the rounds we picked to shoot and they all work for us.

I was beside a shooter today at the range that has a Cabelas Savage 12FV (final cost $186.00 after rebates) .308 with a $1800.00 Leopold scope shooting factory class 1000 yard matches and winning. 1 6.5 Creedmoor Savage 110 factory, 1 6.5X47 Lapua Custom, 1 6.5X284 Custom were also on the line shooting 1000 yards and hitting the paper targets. These are the rounds we picked to shoot and they all work for us.
Yep. We use what works for us.
We have a guy in here who was a marine sniper that is shooting the.308 Win over a mile...I believe he's even done transonic testing at 2000...
He must be shooting a Savage or Remington F class rifle with a 30 inch barrel, and loading well over the SAAMI max average pressure, then. What load is he using, and what altitude is he shooting at? If he is staying supersonic at 1,760 yards with a .308, that's pretty neat.

Yep. We use what works for us.

He must be shooting a Savage or Remington F class rifle with a 30 inch barrel, and loading well over the SAAMI max average pressure, then. What load is he using, and what altitude is he shooting at? If he is staying supersonic at 1,760 yards with a .308, that's pretty neat.
His name is MontanaMarine... Do a search. Pretty sure his rifle is nothing special like that. As for loadings, everyone keeps touring the .30-06 pressures as being outdated...What makes the .308 Win any different? It was created in the 1950's... I'm sure we all run over SAAMI spec pressures. Why? Because it can handle it with no issues. I said he experimented in the transonic range, not supersonic at those distances.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.